Monday, January 01, 2007

New Years Day, football, and the reinstatement of the draft?

Ah, New Years Day.

If you are into college football as I am, this is a great day indeed.

Yesterday's games all proved to be close and exciting, and today should prove the same.

I am hoping that my Arkansas Razorbacks can defeat the Wisconsin Badgers. My Navy Midshipmen lost a couple days ago with only a second left on the clock.

I was under the scalpel in surgery last Friday, and yet here I am, alive and well (and a little sore - - okay, a lot sore). But I have a lot to be thankful for. New Years Day is more than the ushering of a new year. It is an opportunity for a new beginning, or a season for change for many.

The Democratic Congress sees this as a season for change. They want to, after complaining about the war, as a matter of fact, increase the number of troops in Iraq. They want to escalate the war, in a sense.

And others claiming to be lefties as well want to cut and run.

Why the extremes? This makes no sense to me. Is the left that undecided?

And then some of the people making our laws for us desire to reinstate the draft.

Oh, that's brilliant. (I say that with sarcasm).

Steve Ramos has voiced his opposition to my position on the draft on My Point Radio.

Let's go with that.

Steve, I respect you. I agree with you often. This is one issue I cannot see eye to eye with you on.

The lefty call for reinstatement of the draft may seem reasonable on the surface, but some of the reasoning is downright stupid.

Rangel argues that Congress would be less likely to declare war if official's children could be drafted, which in turn would increase the opposition to the war.

So escalate war to keep it from becoming more war? Make the opposition madder by threatening to send their kids to war?

That's idiotic.

Isn't the lefties supposed to be about civil liberties and freedom of choice? They are contradicting themselves. They want to take away the choice of whether or not to join the military.

Besides, the scope of this war is not large enough to justify such a move. The number of young people volunteering is adequate. And besides, why would anybody want to ensure creating an opposition of "Vietnam Proportions" by reinstating the draft?

Fact is, not everyone wants to be in the military, or wishes to be involved in a conflict they may be ideologically against. I would rather send willing recruits with the willingness to defend our nation over to fight our conflicts.

Yes, I understand that once you are there it becomes more about protecting your buddies, but why take the chance?

And the idea that the frontlines are disproportionate is hogwash, as well. In fact, the idea that the military is populated in a disproportionate manner is just another myth created and festered by the liberal left. Military.com tackles that one in an article of their own.

Personally, I would rather the military attract individuals who wish to serve their country. Not the opposite.

Enough said. Enjoy the football, and I'll see ya tomorrow with an article that will really get you fired up about our border with Mexico.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting post. I'm for the draft myself; but my reasons are NOT the same as Rangles...

At the very least a limited one.

I'll have to further my opinion/thoughts at a later time.

Douglas V. Gibbs said...

Holy cow, Gunz, there is actually something that we aren't in complete agreement on? Wow, never thought I'd see the day. Looking forward to your thoughts.

prying1 said...

Problem with the draft is you don't know if you can trust your partner as much if they were dragged off the street as opposed to volunteering.

I know. I was drafted and I wouldn't have trusted me.

Anonymous said...

Doug, I think the draft would make sense if we decided to actually fight a war. as long as we are halfassing it there is no need.

If we went into Iran or N.K to remove the worlds problems, then a draft is the only way we could.

Other than that I agree there is no need for a draft now.

Rangel is trying to drum up anti-war sentiment, he doesn't want a draft to strengthen America, it is a sinister attempt to promote his anti-American fervor.

Bushwack

Anonymous said...

Hey Doug, thanks for the support on My point radio, this means a lot that you like it so much!!!! thanks, Doug, and I am glad you are up and feeling better.

Steve is an interesting subject because although he claims to be a democrat, he is much more.. Steve has proven to be such a valuable with his facts and opinions.

I think like all common sense thinkers, we would like to just see the war won and done. This dragging on and on and seemingly little progress towards victory is maddening.

Enough is Enough, lets kick some butt

Anonymous said...

Sorry 'bout your Razorbacks...but Mr Ol Broad is fairly happy. :)

De'on Miller said...

I guess I don't worry about the draft, because I think if things get much worse, we'll need to do it.

If that is even a little bit of a possibility, I'd rather have them drafted sooner than later.

As we have been shown, terror strikes so quickly, even with trained troops, the reaction time can be too late. But let's not wait until we need them, then have to come up with the plan, then train. We need to be thinking of the future. This isn't going away, I don't think.

And mostly, Steve is a conservative in liberal clothing! :)

He can't get it through his head that the Democratic party is not what it once was. But oh, well...

And Rangel's just plain living in la la land. I never even consider what he has to say about much.

kris said...

Bush's problem is if he wants to send more troops in, he need some more bods- simple as that.

Read Navy Times and you will see guys and their second and third tours. Heads of state national guards are screaming for more people.

Practically, if you want to ratched this war up a gear, you have to get the people some how. A draft is a natural solution.

Ideologically, there is a lot to be said for national service. It is the price of freedom- everyone chips in. The military ain't a free market economy where we can rely upon market forces to determine troop strength.

Anonymous said...

More troops, same lack of stratigy.