Saturday, July 25, 2009

California Dreaming


I live in Southern California. I am a Christian. I am a Conservative. And I am surrounded by Fruits, Flakes, and Nuts. Therefore, I live in California's "nutrution bar" region.

I have a number of friends, acquaintances, and fellow bloggers that live around the country who repeatedly ask me, "How can you possibly stand living in that state?"

There are many advantages living in California, especially Southern California between Los Angeles and San Diego as I do. Within a quick driving distance I have mountains, beaches, deserts, amusement parks, rivers, lakes, boating and hunting. Within a reasonable drive I have San Diego's Coronado Beach, Mission Beach, and every other beach I can think of from Imperial to Oceanside. I am also a quick drive to all of Orange County's beaches and Los Angeles' beaches, including the always fun Santa Monica Pier just south of Malibu.

In the summer I can go surfing in the ocean, biking in the desert, and hiking in the mountains, all in the same day if I so choose. In the winter I can go surfing in a wetsuit, biking in the desert, and snow skiing or snow boarding in the mountains, all in the same day if I wish. I can ride a motorcycle or a horse, I can swim in the ocean, a river, a lake, or a swimming pool. From Sea World to Disneyland to water parks to Knotts to Six Flags Magic Mountain to mud runs with the L.A. Sheriff's Department - it is all available.

I was in Malibu, yesterday, as a matter of fact. It is not difficult to admire the quaintness of the Pacific Coast Highway as it meanders up the busy coast west of Los Angeles between Interstate 10 and Highway 101. The beaches are accessible, and the waters are full of surfers. Ocean cities from San Diego to Crescent City offer an assorted array of shopping and restaurant adventures, but Malibu and the Santa Monica Pier to the south have their own special flare. The houses in Malibu sit atop the hills and cliffs over the ocean, overlooking the panoramic coast. Pepperdine University is a green oasis on the south end, and Point Dume splits the area with heart stopping scenery.

Sure, those houses on the cliffs are waiting patiently for the next earthquake to come in order to verify the new earthquake fittings in the home are working. The fires and mudslides make such living precarious, too. But, what a panoramic view.

Sure, there are concerns in the state, in addition to the fact that under liberal leadership the State of California is bankrupt. Building one's house on the side of a hill that could start sliding into the ocean if it suddenly decides to is a concern. Heck, here in California we live with the threat of the long awaited "big one," which some people jokingly saying will be the earthquake to drop So-Cal into the depths of the ocean when it strikes. In addition to that mega-earthquake on the horizon, we also have to deal with the four seasons each year.

Four seasons? California has four seasons? Seems like a year round summer with a few changes tossed in here and there just to confuse the meteorologists.

Four Seasons.

There is the hot season, Santa Ana Winds season, Fire Season, and Mudslide Season.

Four Seasons.

And often, those seasons overlap.

Sure, the state has its difficulties. But like I tell my friends in other parts of the country, "Tornadoes are so bad in the center of this nation that there is a stretch of turf that is called Tornado Alley. And hurricanes are such a problem that hurricanes have their own season, and it seems that season lasts half the year."

Fact is, there are advantages and disadvantages to living just about anywhere. I don't grumble about the things that I have no control over, for dwelling on those things will drive a man loony. However, it is important to take care of the things we do have power over, be it having an emergency plan available for the big quake, or leaving the state if you don't have the stomach for such a possiblity.

The economic slowdown is something else I don't have a lot of control over. I really can't do much about the fact that work in the two businesses I am most trained in is slow. As a trenching machine operator, who trenched the foundations for houses, work has essentially dried up. As a big rig driver that delivers sand and gravel (truck and transfer), considering the industry's connection to construction, work is very light indeed. I live more off of money I have saved in the bank, of late, than I do from money out of my paycheck - and the savings are rapidly becoming slim.

I can stress out over these factors I have no control over, and cannot change, but why should I? These things are beyond my control. Depression, or stress, from these events in my life I have little or no control over is not going to improve my situation.

However, knowing about these factors that are out of my control, and realizing I cannot change them, does not mean I should be without action. Since I believe political factors are involved with the economic downturn that is affecting me, I am involved politically, be it writing and talking about politics through Political Pistachio and Political Pistachio Radio, or attending local city council meetings, public hearings, or tea parties to protest the federal government's unconstitutional expansion. I also get side work when I can to supplement my income. A little extra pay here and there can add up. The tough part is, however, recognizing which things I have power over changing or influencing, and which things I don't.

As I began to write that last paragraph, something triggered inside me like a Geiger counter. I have heard this truth I am relaying before. I just couldn't place it.

How has this nugget of wisdom availed itself to me before?

Above my desk is a plaque. The image on the plague is praying hands, a door, and a shining light. The text is from the Serenity Prayer.

God grant me the Serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
and Wisdom to know the difference.


-- Political Pistachio Conservative News and Commentary

By Douglas V. Gibbs

No comments: