Monday, January 11, 2010

Gay Marriage Proponents Use Fear To Silence Opposition

By Douglas V. Gibbs

Anytime the tactic of fear is used to push an agenda, it is often because the proponents are unable to win in the arena of ideas. In California, the opponents of Proposition 8, the State Constitutional Amendment that defines marriage as between a man and a woman, have done exactly that, using fear to silence their opposition.

One outspoken gay marriage opponent serving as an official litigant defending the state's definition of marriage as being between a man and a women asked a judge to remove him from the lawsuit that is currently being waged in the courts over Proposition 8 because he feared the trial would generate publicity that could endanger him and his family.

Hak-Shing William Tam has dedicated extensive time toward supporting Proposition 8, and campaigned actively for its enactment.

As a result of harassment, and his property being vandalized, Tam fears further retribution should he continue.

In the court filing Tam said, "In the past I have received threats on my life, had my property vandalized and am recognized on the streets due to my association with Proposition 8. Now that the subject lawsuit is going to trial, I fear I will get more publicity, be more recognizable and that the risk of harm to me and my family will increase."

My own experience includes stolen and damaged "Prop. 8" signs on my lawn, my house and personal truck being vandalized, and while driving my big rig through West Hollywood with a "Yes on 8" sign on the back of my trailer, having something thrown at me and striking me in the head through my open window. After the passage of Proposition 8 harassment while leaving the church parking lot on Sunday also followed.

This is how radicals fight their battles, and it should not be tolerated.

I am saddened, however, by Tam's decision to step down because he is giving the attackers exactly what they wanted. They attacked him to silence him. That is how they work.

The gay lobby is a small group, with a powerful voice. Unfortunately their use of fear has silenced Tam.

If they have to use fear to get their way, then it is hardly democratic. Forcing your views on America through fear is a tactic used by tyranny, not liberty loving Americans.

Shame on you.

-- Political Pistachio Conservative News and Commentary

Fearful Calif. Gay Marriage Foe Wants Out of Case - NewsMax

No comments: