Monday, March 08, 2010

Drinking and Smoking and Eating Fatty Foods, OH MY!

By Douglas V. Gibbs

I smoked for twenty-one years. During my Navy Years I was puffing on two packs of Camel, No-Filters, per day. In 2005, as a major surgery loomed on the horizon, I quit smoking not because I was fearful of the long, slow death that could result from my behavior, but by the fact that while under the knife, as a smoker, I ran a greater risk of dying on the operating table (anesthesia and smokers don't mix too well, it turns out).

When I was a young man I could drink anyone under the table. I enjoyed my alcohol, and foolishly believed that even while drunk off my duff I was in complete control of all of my senses. After my son was born I realized the danger of my behavior, didn't wish to leave my son fatherless, and now I drink less beers than fingers on my hand per year, by my own personal choice.

Eating has always been a favorite function for me. I love good food, lots of red meat, and sometimes the spicy stuff calls to me at times when I know I ought not to eat it. I was one of those kind of lads that could eat and eat and eat and never gain an ounce of weight. What did try to stay in my system was burned off by my miles of running per day, excessive basketball play, and overall hyper-active personality. My Grandmother used to joke that I had hollow legs. Age, however, finally caught up to me, and as my metabolism has slowed down, as has my activity level, a chunkification process has begun. In addition to a little belly building, I also now suffer from acid-reflux. So, I have curbed my junk food eating, lightened up on the spicy stuff, and try to drink much more water.

Just because I have come to the realization that smoking isn't the best habit for me to be engaging in, drinking alcohol should be something experienced in great moderation, drinking lots of water is a good thing, and my eating habits ought to lean towards the healthy side, I do not believe it is up to me, like-minded people, or the government to dictate to people if they should smoke, drink, or eat certain kinds of foods. That should be the decision of the individual.

Of course there must be a limit on that line of thinking. The freedom of individual choices cannot extend to the point that the activity is destructive to the fabric of the culture, the freedoms of others, or opens up the potential for danger to the life and property of others. This is why there are strong laws against drinking and driving, drug use, and other reckless activities.

What fascinates me is how liberal leftists can be pro-abortion, but against the death penalty, anti-tobacco but for the legalization of Marijuana, and in the case of Obama, a smoker, drinker, and junk food eater, yet be married to a party that is all about being a nanny-state through the control of what you eat (as suggested by Barry's own wife, Michelle), if you can smoke (Pasadena, California is trying to ban smoking city-wide), and . . . well, never mind about the drinking. Pelosi's drain on the tax dollars for her drinking habit, Kennedy's history of alcohol usage prior to his death, and Obama's often appointments with Bud, Miller, and Coors is evidence enough that alcohol is currently not a concern of the leftists.

Wait a second, didn't the Left hammer Bush for his past drinking problems?

Anyhow, you know how the leftists are. The answer to the question is always whatever benefits them most, despite any contradictions, double-standards, or hypocrisy.

. . . well, you know, my friend at No Sheeples blogged about it best:

Fearless Reader: “I Tried To Stop Smoking By Telling Myself I Just Didn't Want To Smoke, But I Didn't Believe Myself”

From Alan Colmes’ Liberaland:

Drudge showed a picture of President Obama drinking a beer and linked to a story in the Daily Mail with the headline: “Barack Obama should drink less alcohol and try harder to kick his smoking habit, doctors say.”

But that’s not what the doctors said. The actual wording of the report is this:

“Continue smoking cessation efforts, a daily exercise program, healthy diet, moderation in alcohol intake, periodic dental care, and remain up to date with recommended immunizations.”
There is quite a difference between saying the president “should drink less alcohol” and saying he should “continue moderation in alcohol intake.”

From Weasel Zippers:

The guy's got a million reasons to drink. Tanking poll numbers, wife's a bitch, running out of things to blame Bush for, making Tingles look attractive etc...

From Another Black Conservative:

So in all fairness, despite the left being extremely cruel about Bush’s past drinking problems, I say leave Obama alone on this one. If the brother needs a beer or two to unwind after a day of spending us into oblivion, then let him be. Just one bit of advice I would give Obama: please drink the cheap stuff we’re broke!

Thanks, No Sheeples, I needed that one. . .

Oh, look, I have a cold one in the fridge.

Pop, fizz, aahhhhhhh.

-- Political Pistachio Conservative News and Commentary

No comments: