Sunday, March 14, 2010

Washington DC to Outlaw Fishing? Will Obama and the Democrats Seize Control of Our Waterways?

By Douglas V. Gibbs

The last couple weeks news that the Obama Administration is zeroing in on America's waterways has been hitting the newswire. Fishing, in particular, is in danger - because the leftists, in cahoots with the environmentalists, wish to outlaw fishing!

Some of the first utterings about this happened on my Political Pistachio Radio Revolution radio program. On February 20th, Bob Rinear of Invest Yourself dot com, brought up the issue. Here's the transcript of that exchange:

Doug: The whole point of this show is to inform and educated, and that's why I bring on guests like you on to this program, because I want my listeners to be informed and educated - and of course enjoy the ride while they are at it.

Bob Rinear: I going to throw you a real curve ball here the last couple of seconds, just to mention something.

Doug: Yeah.

Bob Rinear: This is so far off topic, it has nothing to do with what we are talking about. But, it is something that hasn't got much press, and it is a shame. On the 24th (of February) there's going to be a march on Washington. I would doubt you even know what it is about. . . It's really a shame it's not getting out. The fishermen, believe it or not, the coastal fishermen of the United States, are marching on Washington on the 24th. What they are trying to do is say "Hey, your fisheries management, your coastal fisheries management system is completely whacked." And the Magnuson Act needs to be realigned with reality. This is just something that is a little bit personal. I only have one hobby in my life. Only one. I don't go golfing, I don't go bar hoppin', I am an avid fisherman. And sure enough, the rules and the laws, the limits, the things that are going on with our coastal fishery make no sense - unless, of course, you look at the agenda. So what does Bob Rinear do? Bob Rinear hunts for the agenda - and I found it - Oh, I found it.

Doug: Found that critter, caught it in your net, and brought it aboard, huh?

Bob Rinear: Yeah, I found it. I found a very, very interesting piece of document called "Vision 2020." What it is, and this is very off topic, but I think it goes to show you the kind of things that go on behind your back - I found this document produced by the people that are the - they are kind of like the polling people for the fisheries regulation act, et cetera, and it's called Vision 2020, and what it says, and this is a quote: "By 2020 the act of fishing will outstrip the taking of fish for the primary reason for going." In other words, they are all about going out in a boat, get a picture, watching the porpoises going by, or whatever, but actually fishing to take something home to feed yourself or your family will be totally off limits.

Doug: So catch and release.

Bob Rinear: Not even that. No. Because that induces mortality, because some of them are injured when you put them back, so the whole concept will be to virtually outlaw fishing by 2020. That's what it's called, Vision 2020. I found it. I saved it, obviously. . . An awful lot of people are going to converge on Washington saying "Hey, your fisheries management does not make sense, compared to what we see in the real world - the amount of fish, and these off limit areas that you are imposing on us day after day," and it is going to be pretty interesting to see, if it gets a little bit of airplay.

Doug: Very interesting. Now you've got me looking into this, not that I am closely involved, but fishing is an important part of my family. My father, in fact, was, interestingly enough, the sea runs through the veins of my family. My father was the captain of an oil spill clean up boat, interestingly enough, and my uncle, him and his father, were the first to can tuna. Van Camp Seafood Company, which later, merged with Ralston-Purina, the product was Chicken of the Sea, yeah, but that's my family. So I know a little about the industry, because I talked to him off and on, but not much, I am not going to sit here and say "Oh, I'm an expert," but my discussions with him years ago, before he passed away, every once in a while, the few occasions I had the chance to talk to him about it, I educated myself a little bit. I'm fascinated about what this is going to do to the industry.

Bob Rinear: What they plan on doing, or at least Vision 2020 think tanks want to do, is have a very small limited amount of large commercial outfits that get specific permits to a specific amount of fishing, and the poor recreational angler, the poor guy that just spent fifty grand on a boat and goes out on the weekends and buys his bait, and his soft drinks and his ice, he's out of luck. He can't catch anything. The fishing experience is what it is going to be all about.

Doug: The fishing experience. Well, there's no fishing experience if you're not catching fish. And I love to ocean fish, myself, I love to ocean fish, and one of my favorite places to ocean fish is off of the southern coast of Oregon. The rock cod there is just tasty, tasty.

Bob Rinear: But this is a whole different story and I just wanted to bring it up.

Doug: I definitely want to look into that.

Bob Rinear: Please, take a look, on the twenty-fourth, just a few days away, there's an awful lot of buses going to converge on Washington, the media has been told to shut up, they don't, they've been told not to cover this, obviously, because, um, I'm in the media, I'm talking to you, but I do the alphabet soup and none of them, none of them will entertain it, nope, you're not talkin' about that one. So this is an important one to somebody.

Doug: They cringe, and they pucker up, and when I say pucker up I don't mean their lips, and go silent, yeah. Because anytime someone talks about something the government is going to do to take away liberty, they're afraid because they know the people won't like it, so they kind of do it under the cover of night.

Bob Rinear: Yes they do. Now, over in California, and different areas of the east coast, they've put marine sanctuaries up where fishing is no longer allowed, period, amen, you can't do it. Every year they expand them, and expand them, and the laws are as like, the fish that you can catch, okay, keep changing the limits, and the size limits, and the bag limits, and a lot of them don't make any sense, they don't make any sense whatsoever. And yet, if you're lucky enough, if any of your readers want it, I have Vision 2020, I captured it, um, if you wanna know why the rules don't make any sense it's because they're designed, the ultimate goal is to be that they are going to be able to prove, even with catch and release, ups the mortality so high we'll have to ban it, and you will no longer be able to, quote, fish. That's what they want.

Doug: The link's in the chatroom, thanks IggyMom, I tell ya, she's quick, she's really quick, we mention something on the show and it's not very long before it's, uh, the link shows up in the chat room. The link for Vision 2020, or at least the one she gave us, and for you archive listeners I am going to say it real quick so replay it and replay it if I say it too quick, so that you can write it down: http://www.nmfs.noaa.gov/ocs/documents/Vision_2020_FINAL-1.pdf

Bob Rinear: Absolutely, she's correct, and that's the actual version of that particular recommendation to Uncle Sam, and if you read it really closely, it's hard to read for the first fifteen pages, a lot of legalese, then you get into the real meat and potatoes. And that particular quote, by 2020 the fishing experience will outweigh taking of fish as the reason to go fishing. It's there. It's in black and white. And if you read what they want to do, and the way that they presented, the recreational fisherman has no reason to be out there catching fish anymore, he can go out in his boat and take pictures, but will leave the fishing up to a handful of permitted commercial guys, and that's that.

Doug: "Preferred," ready folks, "Preferred state in 2020, many recreational species have limited population growth rates, and are too valuable to be caught only once. By 2020 catch and release fishing is emphasized and accounted for specific species assessments. The proper techniques for release are refined and disseminated to lower post release mortality. For other fisheries, minimum size limits and reduced daily bag limits are sufficient management measures to maintain healthy standing stocks. Additional seasonal closures are considered to eliminate or redirect effort. By 2020, angler satisfaction is derived from the recreational fishing experience rather than the take or “kill” fish. To achieve optimum yield, adaptive management measures such as a temporary reallocation of quota is available to managers."

Bob Rinear: Mmmm. Amazing but true. I just wanted to bring that out.

Doug: This is how you learn. You listen here and find out about these things. But real quick, listeners, did you ever think in your mind that this is something you would have to look up? Oh boy.

Bob Rinear: Did you ever think that Bob Rinear, economic nut, would bring this up? It's very dear to my heart, I mean that's the only hobby I have, coastal fishing, and once again it works the same way with economics, when something doesn't make sense, and right now our rules, our fishing rules don't make sense, and all you have to do is follow the path and you will find a pot of gold for someone, or an agenda for someone. And in this one, it's an agenda. An agenda, unfortunately, that if you like to go on vacation, you like to go to Florida, rent a charter, go fishin', they wanna outlaw that. Wanna stop it.

Doug: Well, that's not the only thing they wanna outlaw, folks.

---- If you were a regular listener of the Political Pistachio Radio Revolution, you would have known about this weeks ago. . .

-- Political Pistachio Conservative News and Commentary

Vision 2020: The Future of U.S. Marine Fisheries - U.S. Department of Commerce,
National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration

Bob On How "World Improvers" are working their agenda concerning recreational fishing - Invest Yourself dot com

Magnuson-Stevens Fishery Conservation and Management Act Reauthorized - NOAA Fisheries Feature

Obama Seeks Control Of America’s Waterways & Lakes - The Traditional Values Coalition

No comments: