Wednesday, March 24, 2010

When Self-Reliance Dies

By Douglas V. Gibbs

I forgot to take my medicine that controls my acid reflux yesterday morning. I forgot to take the pill the night before, as well. When I got home I was so tired I walked right by my wife and plopped down on the bed, clothing and all, finally waking up at midnight.

The twelve o'clock hour chimed as I sat at my desk to write, and the last thing on my mind was food, or pills. I laid back down at 1:30 am, only for my alarm to wake me up at 3:00 am. In the morning rush to get out the door, maybe because my pills were covered by the mail (placing them out of sight), I forgot my pills.

All day, yesterday, I suffered from a burning chest, which reminded me of my foolish blunder. "If only my wife had reminded me," I thought. Usually she does.

What if a government official, given the task of ensuring that my necessity of the acid controlling drug, reminded me? What if, after I was on the road, he pulled me over to give me a pill so that I wouldn't suffer from my forgetfulness?

Eventually, I think, I wouldn't even worry about remembering to take my pills. After all, anytime I forgot, a government worker would show up to give me a pill. Eventually, I would come to expect it, even demand it if for some reason one day the government employee didn't appear to administer the drug.

That is how entitlement programs work. People aren't lazy, per se. But they become dependent on programs that give them things, and even get to the point of demanding the entitlement. Why work for your money when the government will give you money and food for free?

This is how the liberals have taken control of 40% of the population, and have created a permanent class of voters. The leftists have made the people dependent upon government with their entitlement programs, and the people have lost their will to do anything other than receive their goodies from the government.

As a result, the poor stay poor.

That is not compassion. That is slavery.

-- Political Pistachio Conservative News and Commentary

No comments: