Friday, April 09, 2010

The Only Worthy Label

By Douglas V. Gibbs

We live in a life full of labels. We are surrounded by Republicans, Democrats, Conservatives, Liberals, Libertarians, Free-Thinkers, Constitutionalists, and Tea Party Activists. At times I have applied many of those labels to myself. Looking back, however, I realize that though my philosophies may be best described by some of those labels, none of them completely apply to who I am.

A button I used to wear on my jacket when I was younger read, "Why Be Normal?" It was my way of telling the world that I am an individual, with thoughts of my own. Now that I am older, I still believe I am an individual, but I apply what I have learned to my political beliefs. I am concerned about where this nation is going, as well I should be.

Some may label me an activist, or a radical, for my philosophy that this nation needs to return to the Constitution. Others may label me a Constitutionalist, or a Jeffersonian, for my support of the limiting principles of the Constitution. And I suppose those labels closely resemble who I am, but once again, I am not too fond of labels. . . or at least all labels, except for one.

The label I think best describes me has no philosophy or agenda. It is simple. So simple that most folks don't understand it.

For me, the only label that applies, is that I am an "American."

-- Political Pistachio Conservative News and Commentary

No comments: