Monday, April 12, 2010

Time Stopped

By Douglas V. Gibbs

Time Stopped when my mother sat alone,
Her son lying on her lap,
A life only beginning,
A life worth living.

Time Stopped when a United States Marine fell in love,
A family on the verge of beginning,
Stability for the fallen,
A home for life.

Time Stopped when I sat frozen as a child,
My brother falling out of the car,
My Mother reaching for him,
Pulling him in.

Time Stopped when I came around the turn,
My teammate running beside me,
Ahead of the pack,
Running the race.

Time Stopped when I voted for the first time,
They call me a Reagan baby,
A Conservative in the making,
America Rising.

Time Stopped when I jumped in the water,
My shipmates swimming around me,
My Company Commander yelling,
Water splashing about.

Time Stopped when the Soviets approached,
My ship at General Quarters,
All hands ready for the fight,
Sweat on the brow.

Time Stopped when my son entered the world,
My wife gasping for breath,
The child on her chest,
Tears on my cheeks.

Time Stopped when my car began to roll,
My body bouncing within,
My head slammed about,
Life falling to sleep.

Time Stopped when I came out of my coma,
Pain surging through my body,
The world swimming around,
Alone in a room.

Time Stopped when the fire hose fell,
The mask tightening down,
My knees hit the deck,
Sailors lifting me up.

Time Stopped when I said goodbye,
Gifts from my friends,
A sturdy handshake,
A military farewell.

Time Stopped when the girl was born,
A darling little face,
Daddy's little girl,
Love that hurt.

Time Stopped when The City said goodbye,
A loss of everything needed,
Alone without help,
A change on tap.

Time Stopped when the rain began to fall,
A sledge hammer in my hands,
A new vocation,
Digging in the dirt.

Time Stopped when my agent said "No,"
The book lost its traction,
An unknown writer,
An unpublished manuscript.

Time Stopped when pistachios turned to politics,
A journey forged by a lifetime,
A new endeavor of sense,
A pursuit of sanity.

Time Stopped when an unknown Senator took the podium,
A promise of fundamental change,
The blind hope for renewal,
With the death of liberty.

Time Stopped when a new Gadsen Flag rose up,
A message of revolution,
Don't Tread On Me,
Stop the Madness.

Time Stopped when America confused the truth with hate,
When radicalism entered the White House,
The treasury looted,
Freedom waning.

Time Stopped when the Greatest Generation awakened,
Today's is that group of patriots,
A return to the Constitution,
A rough road ahead.

Freedom is worth it.

-- Political Pistachio Conservative News and Commentary

No comments: