Friday, May 07, 2010

A Squirrel Died Under the Fingerprint of God

Douglas V. Gibbs

As I drove home from work, a squirrel ran into the street in front of the car ahead of me. Jokes are told about squirrels, and their habit of such suicidal feats, but this one nailed it. He ran out at just the right moment, and the tires of the vehicle in front of me ran over the squirrel, and the body bounced on the asphalt after the second tire completed running the poor creature over. I expected to be sickened by what I had seen, as a steered left a little as to avoid the lifeless little body. Sometimes, when we lose ourselves in emotion, we find ourselves searching for answers that do not exist, but rather than stop and stare, I continued down the road, turning left, and merging onto the freeway.

I drove home as is my routine, and constancy. I put the little squirrel out of my mind. The horrid death, however, found its way back in, and the bouncing body kept replaying in my mind. The death of the squirrel reminded me that hopelessness and tragedy exists on this blue marble. We can thank God that we are not squirrels, I suppose, but I wondered how many people, if given the chance, would try to save as many squirrels as possible in their lives had they experienced the scene that was, by now, replaying in my head, over and over and over.

Would their emotions demand that kind of action? Or would they do as I did, look the other way, and continue driving down the road?

I am just glad I am not a squirrel.

At home I found familiarity in my wife's touch, and cause in my routines. As humans, we try to give kind, loving gestures, and we hope to feel some kind of concern when confronted with tragedies, no matter how minor. Sometimes we simply need encouragement after viewing death.

What my wife offered was a moment of comfort, aware that something was bugging me.

A life had ended, even if it was simply a squirrel. Our humanity still feels for life when we see it end. I know, however, that life goes on, and sometimes tragedy strikes. We can never stop all of what we wish we could, and I suppose it is good that some folks try.

All I needed was to remind myself that sometimes life can be cruel, but all of these things, be they nuances or subtle influences in our lives, or even the tragedy of a small animal, all add up to a much larger picture - one we may not always understand, but even in tragedy, it always seems that good rises to the surface.

Such is the fingerprint of God.

-- Political Pistachio Conservative News and Commentary

No comments: