Saturday, August 21, 2010

Conservatism, Libertarianism, and the Individual Mind

By Douglas V. Gibbs

The Southern Avenger, a writer in Charleston, South Carolina, that I read often, provided a You Tube video that addressed the differences, similarities, and connections between conservatism and libertarianism. There are aspects of each, and the GOP, of which I agree, and there are some particulars that I do not see eye to eye with.

In the video below one of the things mentioned is that Palin surprisingly agreed with Ron Paul regarding the legalization of Marijuana. Problem is, the issue is not as simple as that. From a moral point of view I do not think Marijuana should be legalized. Nonetheless, if a State desires legalizing the drug, that is the business of the people of that State. If there are those in the State that don't like it, they can work to change the law back to making Marijuana illegal, they can put up and shut up, or they can vote with their feet and move to a State that better suits their beliefs. My problem with the possible legalization of Marijuana is the federal influence on the issue. All federal drug laws are unconstitutional because the federal government is not given authority over the issue by the U.S. Constitution. Having national, blanket authority is dangerous from a "centralized tyranny" point of view, anyhow, in addition to the fact that it stomps on State Sovereignty. If the federal government so desires to have authority over the issue of drugs in America, then they need to pass an amendment, which ultimately will need three quarters of the States for ratification - just as the federal government did regarding alcohol during the age of prohibition.

I have refused to join any local club or organization. I have been asked to do so by a number of them, some considering themselves to be conservative, some libertarian, and some Republican. In fact, the only group I have given any allegiance to at all is the Tea Party, and even though I have participated in the events, and have manned a Constitution table for the grass-roots movement, I even refuse to become a member of the "organizational" aspect of the Tea Party as well. (There shouldn't be an organizational aspect of the Tea Party, anyway.)

Standing on one's principles is not something organizational. Such a decision is an individual thing. I do not need a party, or an organization, to tell me how to think. I don't wish to follow a leader, or defend what a group does no matter what. In my opinion, the bums that need to be thrown out are from both parties, at all levels.

This is not to say I am an independent. I am a registered Republican, and I believe the Republican Party is the best vehicle for America to use in its quest for a limited federal government, and a return to Constitutional principles. The process of taking back America begins when conservatives take back the GOP.

Groups, clubs and parties are important, and I thank those that are a part of them, and are determined to guide America through those groups. I am just not one to place those groups, clubs, organizations and parties above my own individual opinion.



-- Political Pistachio Conservative News and Commentary

No comments: