Saturday, October 23, 2010

Thank You For Your Service


By Douglas V. Gibbs

I never expected to be thanked for my service in the United States Navy. I never really think about it. My thanks goes out to those folks that have just returned. Old veterans like me just don't think about it much anymore.

Today I spent my day from before dawn, to nearly sunset, volunteering at a local event put on by the Vets Center. I pushed my back and damaged shoulder to the limit. With a retired United States Marine Major, and an active Marine and his wife, we put up a dozen and a half booths, tables, e-z-ups, chairs, a staging area for the emcee, and much more. By the end of the day I felt as I did back when I worked in construction. . . exhausted, but gratified for a job well done.

My wife and I grabbed a bite to eat, something we haven't done in a very long time, after I got home from the event. An older couple in a table near ours were frustrated because their younger companion (granddaughter?) had complained about her steak not being cooked right, and the slab of cow had been returned four times - without it being right. Finally the young lady was satisfied, and she ate her meal after her older table-mates were finished with their meal. At one point I caught eyes with the young lady, and she threw up her hands as if to say, "Gosh, this is crazy, all I asked for was medium rare."

I was still wearing my Vet Center T-shirt, and Navy Veteran ball cap. As I paid for our meal, I stood to sign the receipt because sitting was becoming a strain on my back. The group of three had arisen to leave, and the young lady walked up to me, looked me in the eye, and said, "Thank you for your service."

Not accustomed to receiving such a gesture of gratitude, I said nothing, only smiling and nodding my head in such a way that hopefully said, "Thank you."

The three folks walked away, but the words sank into my soul. My heart was rising into my throat. I received a "thank you" that I rarely get, and I feel is truly more deserved by our current active duty that have braved Iraq and Afghanistan. The humility, and even sheepish appreciation I felt, however, could not be mistaken. And I wondered, if the girl's gesture of gratitude affected me in such a way, I wonder how deeply felt such thank yous are to those just returning from overseas.

It made me think about how important it is to make sure we convey our appreciation to our heroes of the United States Military.

So, from me to you, Thank You For Your Service. My freedom to say such a thing is a direct result of your sacrifice, and your family's sacrifice. Your service is appreciated.

Blessings.

-- Political Pistachio Conservative News and Commentary

No comments: