Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Navy Submarines Stop Smoking

By Douglas V. Gibbs

I was a smoker for 21 years. I quit when an impending surgery would put my life in danger if I continued to smoke. I began my years as a smoker when in the United States Navy. Under the stresses of intense operations, smoking served as a method of calming my nerves. I was one of those few that could smoke daily, and still run twenty miles a day. A destroyed knee in 1985 put an end to my running.

While I was in the Navy they disallowed smoking indoors, so I began to spend much more time topside.

Now, in the interest of being fair to the non-smokers, submarines will also become smoke free.

Though I feel for the non-smokers on the vessels, and the concern over whether or not the filtration system can keep the second hand smoke out of the system, I must ask, "Why is it that the rights of the smokers are not considered?"

Even though I am no longer a smoker, it does not mean that I think anyone should be forced not to smoke. Healthy, or not, a smoker should be able to make the decision to quit for themselves, not under force by a governmental agency. However, with the situation being with the Navy, it does add a whole new spin, since the military should have the means to do what they deem necessary to make a unit function in tip top condition.

Creates a real conundrum, doesn't it?

-- Political Pistachio Conservative News and Commentary

SubFor: Smoking on subs to end by Dec. 31 - Navy Times

No comments: