Saturday, March 05, 2011

For Posterity


By Douglas V. Gibbs

Little Cortez played on the slides at the local park as I parked my car in the nearby lot. My wife alerted him that Grandpa had arrived, and his face lit up with excitement as he departed from the group of kids he was playing with. Cortez came running over as I opened the door of my little sedan, and he hopped up in my lap, grabbing the steering wheel. I hugged him, and give him a big kiss, telling him how much I love him.

Cortez is the second oldest of my four grandchildren (number four is due from the oven any day now), and at two years of age, he is quite the conversationalist. He chattered from his car seat all the way home.

In the house he sat down to eat some chicken goulash as I dug into a meat-N-potatoes and okra dinner. I broke out some paper and colored pencils for Cortez and I afterward, and we drew pictures to our heart's content.

My love for my grandchildren is boundless, and it is for them (and the generations following) that I fight the good fight in this ongoing battle for our republic.

In the Preamble of the U.S. Constitution, the reasons for the founding document, and therefore the creation of a federal government, are listed. At the end of the opening paragraph of the U.S. Constitution the Founding Fathers were careful to articulate that these Blessings of Liberty weren't just for themselves, but for their "Posterity" as well.

Note that they capitalized "Posterity" in the Constitution for emphasis.

The final sentence of the Declaration of Independence not only mentions the founder's "reliance on the protection of divine Providence" (God), but their hope that the declaration of independence would break the cycle of tyranny the colonies had been subjected to. For this, they were willing to pledge to each other their Lives, Fortunes, and Sacred Honor - not just for themselves, but as the Preamble indicates, for their posterity.

As I think about the love I hold for my children, and my grandchildren, I find it reasonable to consider that the founders held the same love for their children, grandchildren, and ultimately their posterity. Like me, they wished for their family of the future to enjoy a life better than the one they experienced, under a system limited by the rule of law that promotes freedom, and protects our individual God-given rights. In fact, the Founding Fathers were so intent on leaving a better world for their posterity that they were willing to lay down their lives for it.

These men of old were willing to sacrifice their lives, fortunes, and sacred honor for us. The least we can do is preserve that system by doing what we can to ensure that our government functions within the limitations of the authorities granted by the States to the federal government as stated in the U.S. Constitution.

-- Political Pistachio Conservative News and Commentary

No comments: