Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Jim Thome - One of the Good Guys of Baseball: 600 Home Runs

I am a huge baseball fan. Thome is a class act, and it is a shame that his 600th homer has been tainted by the steroid era - the feat has been cheapened, but Thome did it the right way - clean.


Thome worthy of enshrinement in Hall of Fame

Underappreciated slugger ranks eighth on all-time home run list

Jim Thome, the eighth member of the 600-homer club, now has his rightful place in history. And though the decision is his and his alone, he might also have enough incentive to call it a career at season's end.

"I do love the game," Thome told me the other day. "I do still love to play the game. But there is a day that I do look forward to going home and being with my kids. As much as this has given me, it's also very important to know when the time is right to go home to your kids and your family, you know? And they're getting to that age where it's getting close. It's getting close."

Health was the prevailing reason Thome opted, at 40 years old, to return to the Twins this season. After a month's break at the end of last season, he felt rested and resilient enough to sign on for designated hitter duties once more.

Read More at Major League Baseball

-- Political Pistachio Conservative News and Commentary

No comments: