Sunday, January 15, 2012

The Birth and Maintenance of Constitution Radio with Douglas V. Gibbs

My name is Douglas V. Gibbs, and I am the host of Constitution Radio. The radio program is designed to look at the various issues that faces this nation through the lens of the U.S. Constitution.  The show airs live on KCAA 1050 AM in San Bernardino, California.  The first episode aired August 6, 2011.

The show's debut was actually quite by accident, for I was not planning on moving to terrestrial radio from Internet Radio, where my Political Pistachio radio program had called home for four and a half years. I was simply doing research on what it would take to move my little project to the AM radio airwaves.  Slots were open, folks were willing to put some money behind my efforts, so we launched the new show.

At the time we made no profit. The advertising dollars we received even fell just a tad short, so I made up the difference from my own personal funds. The difficulty bringing in advertising dollars was understandable.  The country is in an economic down period, and the financial stress of our economy has hammered businesses in ways few of us truly understand. But, we pulled together enough money, and the show launched.

You can listen to podcasts of all of my past episodes on the podcast page for my show at KCAA's website.

The program began broadcasting on Saturdays and Sundays at 1050 AM in the Inland Empire of Southern California, or at KCAAradio.com, at 2:00 pm Pacific. Since the Christmas Season we have had to dial back to Saturdays only.

The show is the natural and logical result of the growth of the Political Pistachio Radio show that adorned the Internet Airwaves at BlogTalkRadio for four and a half years. Much of my international audience that followed Political Pistachio Radio followed me to KCAA, and my "Constitution Radio with Douglas V. Gibbs" program. I appreciate the support.

Last November KCXL in Kansas City, Missouri decided to start carrying the show. Currently, I am talking with WHTH in Youngstown, Ohio as well. The show has been quite successful, bringing in a tremendous amount of listener support, and by picking up these two stations as affiliates. However, funding has been difficult. The drive for advertisers in this economic downturn has been the biggest obstacle the show faces.

Most of the reasons given by potential sponsors have been that they must be tighter in their marketing budgeting due to the economic difficulties we face during this government-induced recession. Some of the potential advertisers also claim that it is just a matter of timing, because for many of these businesses this is the off-season and advertising right now makes no sense. Radio stations function by selling airtime. All hosts on the air everywhere, with only a few exceptions, pay airtime. They make their profit off of the money they bring in from advertisers above the cost of airtime, and other costs.

Currently, we remain way short of what is needed to pay the airtime, and in fact have dropped to just Saturdays to accommodate the drought of funding. With the addition of KCXL, WHTH, and other radio stations around the country sniffing around with interest, the last thing we need is to go off the air due to a slight shortage of advertising dollars. This is where I hope you, the loyal Political Pistachio readers and listeners, come in. I need your help. If you wish to donate, you can do so right here on this site. On the left sidebar there is a PayPal button for contributing to Political Pistachio. Any and all contributions are welcome. Also, if you have a business, you would like to advertise your blog, or you know a business or website you can refer to me as a potential advertiser, contact me at constitutionspeaker (at) yahoo dot com.

Thank you.

Douglas V. Gibbs

-- Political Pistachio Conservative News and Commentary

p.s. feel free to re-post this on your blogs if you think it will help.

No comments: