Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Ozzie Guillen: I Respect Castro

By Douglas V. Gibbs

It is one thing to say something stupid, like showing some love for the good-for-nothing dictator of Cuba, Fidel Castro; it is another doing so in Miami where there is a large Cuban population, many of whom are those (or children of those) that escaped the iron fist of Castro, while you are the manager of the local major league baseball team.

Ozzie Guillen, well known for shooting his mouth off, did exactly that.

The Miami Marlins already have trouble putting butts in their seats. Ozzie is either stupid, or he is so infatuated with Castro that the consequences didn't matter to him. I vote that he is both.

As a result of his statement, Guillen has been suspended for five games. The Marlins released a statement regarding the incident, saying, "The Marlins acknowledge the seriousness of the comments attributed to Guillen. The pain and suffering caused by Fidel Castro cannot be minimized, especially in a community filled with victims of the dictatorship."

Ozzie's profession of love for Castro, and that he respects him for staying in power so long, was reported in Time Magazine.

One can kind of see why Guillen respects Castro's ability to stay in power, since Guillen can't seem to stay at a baseball club for very long.

Ozzie may be looking for yet another job real soon, as the local fans have been protesting and demanding that Guillen hit the pavement.

Guillen apologized again and again, in Spanish and English, saying that he was "very embarrassed, very sad."

Yeah, embarrassed and sad that he didn't realize there would be this kind of response, and probably (like Obama) stunned that Americans don't embrace communist dictators.

"I apologize to the people here, outside, and I'm very, very, very sorry about the problem, about what happened. I will do everything to make it better, everything in my power to make it better," Guillen said.

Guillen in a news conference denied he loves the Cuban dictator, saying that the reporter in the article misinterpreted his remarks and claimed what he really said in Spanish was, "I cannot believe that someone who has hurt so many people over the years is still alive."

Guillen, who is from Venezuela, repeatedly told reporters he is not pro-Castro or pro-Hugo Chavez.

"I'd prefer to die than vote for Chavez," Guillen said in Spanish.

"I don't blame those people to think what they think right now because they have all the right, because I hurt a lot of people, and I'm aware of that. It's something, it's another thing that's not in my hands," Guillen said. "If I'm going to be a Miami guy for the rest of my life, I got meet the community every day even if I want to or not, because I live here. I want to walk on the street with my head up and feel not this bad, the way I feel right now."

Guillen said that he will no longer talk politics and that he will stick to baseball.

Perhaps he'll keep his job a little longer that way. . . of course, his problems isn't just politics, but the fact that he opens his mouth often with things that are offensive, profanity-laden, or just plain stupid.

One thing is for sure. With Guillen at the helm, the stands will be barren in Miami, and the people that do show up to games will be either hard-core baseball fans, or communists.

-- Political Pistachio Conservative News and Commentary

Guillen Claims Castro Remark Misinterpreted - Local 10 Sports News

No comments: