Sunday, November 04, 2012

Goin' Shootin'

By Douglas V. Gibbs

My Spanish Astra Modelo 400 (1921) needs to be cleaned up quite a bit before I take that 9mm beauty out shooting anytime soon. Taking a day to disassemble it and clean it bit by bit will be in the next couple weeks. Until then, I've decided to take the Ruger single-action revolver out for a spin.  The .22 is a beautiful 1969 single-six with rosewood grips.  

I prefer revolvers, and have a .45 and .357 too.  But those guns are very different from my .22.  They are semi-auto, but the Ruger single-six requires you to cock back the hammer for each shot.

Another difference is that the cylinder in this gun does not swing out like my other revolvers.  This one has a little door that pulls out, exposing only one chamber at a time. You can disassemble it where the cylinder comes out for cleaning, pull the pin and the cylinder rotates out, but for loading the gun you open the little door, cocking back the hammer only one click, and rotating the cylinder one chamber at a time. After handling other revolvers, this kind of surprised me.

This morning I am going to a private range where a friend has a membership, and I am joining him as a guest. I have quite a few rounds, but he has more.  Gonna be fun.

-- Political Pistachio Conservative News and Commentary

No comments: