Sunday, July 21, 2013

Phil Mickelson Won the British Open

By Douglas V. Gibbs

I used to golf.  I haven't in years because of various health issues, and the cost.  But I still follow the PGA as much as I can.  I have become quite a big fan of Rickie Fowler, my claim to fame being that I played against him a couple of times, and got beat badly by him. . . and he was only a kid back then.

Tiger Woods has always been intriguing, but I never became a hard-core Tiger fan.  He, in his prime, was phenomenal.  Tiger is still a force to be reckoned with.  But for me, I have always had a place in my heart for Phil Mickelson - the man that would be the greatest golfer of his era if not for the presence of Tiger Woods.

After being in the thick of things in the U.S. Open, recently, only to end up as sixth-runner-up, Mickelson has pulled off an incredible victory at the British Open, pulling off a come-from-behind victory that was stunning, to say the least.  He shot 5 under par in the final round to make up for being five shots behind the leader, and pulling off his first-ever victory at the British Open.

Tiger Woods never seemed to get his game in gear, and for Mickelson, that may have been fortunate.  Then again, the way Phil was playing, Tiger might not have ever caught him.

Congratulations, Phil Mickelson, I am a fan beaming with pride.

Rickie Fowler missed the cut after the second round.

-- Political Pistachio Conservative News and Commentary

Mickelson comes from behind to win British Open - USA Today

No comments: