Monday, October 20, 2014

Matthew Alvernaz Clarifies Military History Doubts

By Douglas V. Gibbs

In the Murrieta City Council race, 2014, one of the candidates, Matthew Alvernaz, has been battling uphill, bringing attention to his campaign as best he can with flyers, and attendance at as many forums and debates as possible.  In a recent article I wrote, I expressed doubts regarding some of his claims regarding his personal history, specifically as an Army Ranger.  He has asked that his rebuttal may be made available, and the following are the primary highlights of his request:

I entered in June of 2005 under a "Ranger Contract." I completed my basic and advanced infantry training (ITB) before moving onto Airborne School. Once that 3 week course was completed, I took on the challenge of the Ranger Indoctrination Program (RIP) which was four weeks. The school and training process has since changed names and lengths. I was one of 30 to graduate and one of 8 to get assigned to the 2nd Ranger Battalion in January of 2006. Following my illness, I was offered a medical discharge which I refused. I wanted to finish my contract to my country. I was allowed to leave battalion and briefly work for the Ft. Lewis Post General in 1st Corps as a member of the training cadre. When healthy enough to pass the physical fitness test (PAT) again, I entered the Corporal Recruiting Program and returned home to El Cajon where I finished the remainder of service.

Most Rangers are not NCO's and operate as an elite infantry unit. As cool as it sounds, they are not Special Forces. That title is technically reserved for "Green Berets" only. Rangers are however, under Special Operations Command (SOCOM) as a direct action resource. Just watch "Blackhawk Down" and it should fill in the blanks a bit. Fairly accurate depiction of Rangers and Ranger life. Even when I entered the Army and unit, I never intended to do more than my initial contract. My goal was to become a police officer but I could not get hired without more life experience. I joined the Army with that purpose in mind from the beginning. When I got out I was initially awarded 60% disability which was recently increased to 80% this year. When I applied with the Police Department I passed all of their physical and mental tests. Since there are laws preventing employers from denying applicants a job because they are "disabled" they could not justify not hiring me. Equal Opportunity Employment and all that.


-- Political Pistachio Conservative News and Commentary

No comments: