Tuesday, November 04, 2014

What a Drag it is Getting Old: Some Humor About Aging

By Douglas V. Gibbs

Now that my wife is 50, and I'm not there yet, I have been teasing her about her age.  Then, this morning, as she was going through the mail, I had an even hardier laugh over what she got in the mail addressed to her.  Then, after writing about her joy of three pieces of particular junk mail, I just got on a roll.

Enjoy:

My wife is complaining to me.  She just turned fifty, and yesterday in the mail she got three pieces of junk mail from funeral homes.

As I have gotten older, it has gotten more difficult to read small printing.  At first, I just moved the page I was trying to read away from my face.  Eventually, I ran out of arm, and had to break down and admit I either needed reading glasses, or someone younger to read my mail for me.

I used to be an athlete with feet that never stopped moving.  I ran long distance races with those feet.  I was a stud in the U.S. Navy, using my feet to get me where I needed to go to perform my duties.  After my military service, my feet lead me in a number of foot races, walk-a-thons, and mud runs.  Then, I hurt my ankle, refused to change my eating habits, and got older.  Now, when I look down, I can't see my feet anymore.

I used to be a runner.  Now, the most I run, is to the refrigerator.

When I tell people I have six grandchildren, they tell me I don't look old enough to have grandchildren.  They haven't seen me without a shirt.

The good news is that most food places are preparing to give us senior citizen discounts.  The bad news is the morticians keep following us around with measuring tapes.

I used to hardly care.  Now, I can hardly hear, so it doesn't matter if I care.

One thing I have realized as I have gotten older is that gravity sucks.

Now that I am older, for some reason my friends keep telling me, "Don't go towards the light."

-- Political Pistachio News and Commentary

No comments: