Wednesday, August 30, 2017

Duncan Hunter: Trump's Our A**hole

Duncan Hunter third from left
By Douglas V. Gibbs
AuthorSpeakerInstructorRadio Host

Last Friday I had the opportunity to spend the evening listening to three Republican politicians in a "question and answer" style forum put on by the Young Republican club.  The meeting was held in Murrieta, at the Tap House Bar and Grill near Los Alamos and the 215 Freeway.  The meeting was informative, and it was the fourth time my path has crossed gubernatorial candidate Travis Allen's over the last few weeks.  So far, Allen has impressed, and I hear he has put a pretty good ground game together, but the reports on how much money he's been raising have not been promising as of yet.

Ken Calvert is my congressman, and while he's a good Republican, he's not always a good conservative.  I even considered running against him in 2012.  But, after an exploratory committee gathered the facts for me, the realization was that we were not going to be able to raise enough funds to mount a successful enough campaign.  That said, I have clashed with Calvert a number of times, and was critical of him in 2014 during the Murrieta immigration protests because his support waited until after we had the whole country behind us (I accused him of testing the political winds before making a decision, making him a typical politician who was more worried about how he'd look, as opposed to standing on his political principles - and the article got picked up by Drudge, and when it got to Calvert's office, his staff quit meeting with me and three other people).

The third politician at the Young Republican meeting last Friday was someone I had heard a lot about, but I had never met, nor seen speak.  My Temecula friends told me that Duncan Hunter is one of the good guys, and is especially strong when it comes to taking a strong stance regarding the federal fugitives who broke federal law when they illegal entered the United States (illegal aliens. . . for those leftist readers who have trouble with language).

Hunter, the son of a Congressman, and a military veteran who served as an officer in the United States Marine Corps, has one of those harsh personalities I absolutely love to see in politics.  From what I gathered during last Friday's forum, he pulls no punches, and says it like it is, regardless of whether or not delicate ears can handle it.

So, when asked about President Donald J. Trump, after Calvert quipped that Hunter knows the President better, Hunter (who was an early supporter of Trump during the campaign) said "the stories you hear about him, they're true.  Except the fake news.  He's just like he is on TV.  He's an a**hole, but he's our a**hole."

The comment found its roots in Duncan Hunter's military background.  When I served back during the eighties we used to say the same thing about horrible dictators who were at least willing to work with the United States.  "He may be an a$$hole, but he's our a$$hole."

Note: I am not afraid to print profanity if it is a necessary part of the story, but some of the outlets who repost my articles will not repost them if profanity is in them. . . hence the reason for asterisks and dollar signs.

While, as a public speaker, I know it is important to know your audience, Hunter is actually kind of refreshing.  But, it turned out a few delicate ears were offended.

The offended parties were not conservatives, or at least in my opinion, they're not.  If they think they are conservatives, they need to check their equipment again, just to make sure.  As a conservative, it must be a rule that we can't be offended.  Being offended is a pansy, sissy, politically correct, B.S. way to run your life.  Why would you give that kind of control over your emotions to other people, and give them the ability to get you all riled up by mere words?

I was raised by a man who served in the United States Marine Corps, and trust me, while the profanity wasn't there (usually), the potentially "offensive" things (not offensive to me, but could be considered so by the snowflakes of today's world) were.  Reality is, the truth is a b!tch.  It sucks, sometimes, when people are brutally honest.  I served in the United States Navy, the construction industry, and I was a truck driver.  Offensive language and offensive situations were the norm.  Brutal honesty that sometimes slapped around my personal feelings emerged often.  It's a part of life.  Grow up, Hunter was simply using a slightly harsh way to say something that is actually pretty profound.

Politics is not for babies.  Toughen up, or get out of the game.  Duncan Hunter was fine in what he said, and he was correct in what he said.

Deal with it.

-- Political Pistachio Conservative News and Commentary

No comments: