Sunday, February 04, 2018

Big Game: Foles' Faith versus a Football god

By Douglas V. Gibbs
AuthorSpeakerInstructorRadio Host

UPDATE: Eagles Win, 41-33 (see update at end of article regarding the players and head coach giving God the Glory!)

I am a huge football fan, and despite the idiotic National Anthem kneeling stuff, I have remained a viewer.  I suppose a large part of the reason I was not willing to boycott the NFL over the National Anthem protests was because my favorite player, Derek Carr, not only refused to kneel, but visibly prayed during the singing of the Star Spangled Banner.  He voiced his position to his team, disagreeing with their actions, and as a result, many folks believe that's the reason why his offensive line went from among the best O-lines in 2016 to among the worst in 2017.  It is even a consideration that his back injury earlier in the year was specifically the result of his protectors letting the defenders through to nail him.

The Raiders finished with a dismal 6-10 record, and it cost Coach Del Rio his job.  Somehow, Mark Davis convinced Jon Gruden to return to Oakland, and a teaming up of Carr and Gruden is a match made in Heaven.  Next seasons should be promising.  Some say Jon Gruden working with Derek Carr could be a monumental pairing that may only be compared to the day Patriot's Coach Belichick met Tom Brady.

Minus any great challenge by any team west of the Mississippi River (Rams were great in the regular season, but went down in Round 1 of the playoffs; as did the Kansas City Chiefs) we've worked our way through the playoffs and it's time to find out who this season's champion will be.

I've been watching the pre-game show for the Big Game as I munch on chips and a super bowl of homemade salsa.  I've got a fat burrito with beans, meat, cheese, onions, mild cheddar cheese, lettuce, cilantro, and tomatoes from my super bowl of salsa, in it.  I've got guacamole next to my super bowl of salsa, and my favorite drink in the world, a SOBE Citrus Energy.  Nobody is here with me.  My son's family is at a Big Game party somewhere else, and my wife is at work, so I sit alone, in my office, watching the festivities on a 13-inch flat screen.

My feelings approaching the game has been that nobody can stop Tom-Terrific; especially a back-up quarterback from Philly who's never impressed anybody until recently.  Don't get me wrong, I like Philadelphia.  I think with Carson Wentz they were tons of fun to watch, and I was suspecting they'd go deep into the playoffs.  And, as a Raiders fan, I am not only not a fan of Tom Brady and New England, I despise them.  Just say "tuck rule," and you'll see me contort into all kinds of frustrating memories and anger.

Tom Brady is undoubtedly the greatest quarterback ever to play the game, and even at the age of 40, he is still dominant.  Who's Philadelphia to believe they can dethrone him?

Yesterday, I was wondering what my prediction would be.  I was thinking, New England 42 - Philadelphia 28.  Philly's defense can't contain Tom and gang, but the Patriots' defense is not good enough to keep the Eagles from scoring at least four touchdowns ... even with a back-up like Nick Foles behind center.  I am guessing it'll be high scoring, but Brady will dominate.

While Brady has been the greatest quarterback of all time, Nick Foles has essentially been a back-up quarterback, and a largely ineffective one, during his entire career.  Why would a back-up even have a chance against the greatest of all time?

Wentz's injury was the result of a rookie mistake ... as a quarterback you have to be careful when running, especially along the sidelines.  The protections in place in the rules no longer apply to you, for once you take flight, you are no different than a running back in terms of the rules.  He went down fighting the Rams, as the regular season was approaching its final moments.  Of the remaining 3 games, Foles was able to lead the Eagles to two more victories, but I never batted an eye.  The playoffs would be a whole new experience, and I didn't think Philly was up to the task.

Then, they navigated through the playoffs, defeating last year's NFC Champ, the Atlanta Falcons, and the team with the best defense in the NFC (in my humble opinion), the Minnesota Vikings.

Nick Foles, a University of Arizona Quarterback, was taken in the third round in 2012 by the Philadelphia Eagles.  After three years of mediocre ball where he started in half of the games he was in uniform for, he went to the Rams for one year, where his completion percentage continued its downward spiral.  After considering hanging up his cleats, Foles then played only three games for the Kansas City Chiefs in 2016, starting one of those games, before returning to Philly in 2017 so that he could be a back-up for rookie Carson Wentz.

Not exactly the kind of career a child dreams of having if by some crazy chance he reaches the NFL.

Nick, however, loves the game, and continued playing the game, with the right attitude, and Faith.

Prior to this year, Nick's only playoff experience came during the 2013 season, where he lost a close one to New Orleans.

We now have a different Nick Foles.  He has won both of his playoff games this season, and now he stands on the edge of greatness, as he prepares to face Tom Brady and the New England Patriots, the evil empire of football (in the minds of anyone who doesn't live within driving distance of Foxborough, Massachusetts. Foles, however, does not fear the task before him.  He's grown, he's matured, and he has the Lord.

When Wentz tore his ACL in week 14, and many questioned whether Foles had the goods to lead them all the way to a championship, few honestly expected what happened. Now the Eagles are in Minneapolis, Minnesota, playing their first Super Bowl in 13 years.

Foles says it's all because of God's faithfulness.

"My faith in the Lord means everything. I'm a believer in Jesus Christ and that's first and foremost. That's everything. I wouldn't be able to do this game without Him because I don't have the strength to go out and do this. This is supernatural," Foles said.

"It's also an opportunity to go out there and share what's He's done in my life. And it's not about prospering at all. It's about how He's humbled me. In my weaknesses, He made me strong, 2 Corinthians 12:9. You know, whenever I was at my lowest, that's where my relationship with Christ grew," Foles continued.

The Philadelphia locker room is full of players who find faith in Christ, it turns out.

Safety Malcolm Jenkins says it has a lot to do with the brotherhood of faith he and a lot of his teammates formed in the offseason through Bible studies, praying together, and even baptism.

"I've seen like three guys get baptized at the team facility. I don't think that's happened anywhere. It's just one of those things that faith is a really important part of this team. And we commune with one another often times. We talk about it, and it's been unique and special to watch that unfold in an NFL locker room," said Jenkins.

Tight End Zach Ertz agrees with Jenkins. He says he is personally reaping the benefits of a faith-filled locker room.

"I dedicated my life to Christ back in March. I was baptized in March, got married the next day. Our marriage has been built on that foundation from the word and Jesus and it's changed my life. And just to have these guys hold me accountable on a daily basis has been phenomenal for me. I hope I do the same for them," said Ertz.

This is not to say the New England Patriots are just a bunch of heathens.

"I feel like my purpose here in the National Football League and on this earth is bigger than the game of football. I firmly believe I've been given the platform of football to build relationships, build bridges, and connect with people, and show them the love of Christ. And that's something that I've enjoyed doing since I got here to New England and something that I continue to enjoy doing," said Patriots Wide Receiver Matthew Slater.

"I go through my ups and downs. I'm a broken human being and I have flaws and my struggles and God's the one that's consistent. God's the one that carries me through. And I'm so thankful for Jesus Christ and the things He's done in my life," said Patriots Tackle Nate Solder.

The Patriots' veteran defensive backs Duran Harmon and Devin McCourty say it's when things get tough that they lean on their faith the most to help them stay focused and poised.

"This whole journey has ups, downs, but the one thing that has been consistent is God – His love for me, His grace, His mercy continually shows His favor. I know that He has something bigger in store for me than football but I just have to stay the course, continue to keep serving Him and everything else will fall in place," Harmon said.

"I think one of the cool things that we talked about this year is just joy. You know I think football brings a lot of ups and downs and you can easily just ride with that roller coaster. Even today in our chapel before we came here, we talked about embracing everything, being here tonight and enjoying this process. And just being authentic, being ourselves and not being scared to be different and talk about being blessed and the opportunity to be here," McCourty said.

Tight End Dwayne Allen signed with the team in the offseason, so this is his first Super Bowl appearance. He's worked hard to get here. While he's elated about the opportunity, he says none of his success would have been possible with his relationship with Jesus Christ.

The Eagles are the underdogs, and sometimes its fun to root for the underdog, especially when the story is like the one unfolding today.  Wertz is down.  Foles is ready.  And the head coach, Doug Pederson, has a message; "...one man can definitely make a difference on your football team, but the fact is we’re still a team.  And as a group of men, we’re playing well as a team and that’s what we can’t lose sight of. It’s a lot of great individual efforts, obviously, and yes, one guy can make a difference. But at the end of the day, it’s about team and it’s my job to make sure everybody understands that."

As a team, without Wentz, if they give Foles the support he needs, the Eagles may be able to pull off what a lot of people claims to be the impossible...Win SBLII against the New England Patriots, who are led by Head Coach Bill Belichick and Tom Brady.

Suddenly, deep down, I'm finding myself secretly rooting for the Philadelphia Eagles ... but in truth, I have a feeling that with so many Christians participating, giving the Glory to the Lord, ready to show their Faith with each finger-point to the sky and each prayer, no matter what happens, it will be a virtuous victory by either team - with God's Grace raining down upon them all.

UPDATE: After Super Bowl win, Head Coach Pederson, and his players, proclaim Glory to God/Jesus Christ.  Coach Dungy, as sportscaster, echoed their proclamation of faith.  Do you think the leftists of NBC were freaking out?

-- Political Pistachio Conservative News and Commentary

No comments: