Saturday, April 21, 2018

John Cox or Travis Allen

By Douglas V. Gibbs
Author, Speaker, Instructor, Radio Host

As a person who is in the public eye, I try to be as objective as I can be when it comes to candidates running for office . . . well, when it comes to those who support the Constitution, anyway.  Democrats don't tend to get much attention from me, not because of any partisan reason, but because I have yet to meet a Democrat who reveres the Constitution, understands the Constitution, or considers it as being an important part of our system of liberty.  In fact, most of them view it as an obstacle, not a Blessed document and the reason behind the liberty and prosperity this country has enjoyed.

That said, when it comes to some races, as objective as I may want to be, I cannot contain myself, and my support for a candidate becomes obvious.  The race for Governor of California is one such race.

Last night, of which I will write more extensively, later, I attended an event where candidate Travis Allen was the speaker in a race pitting him and John Cox against each other as the two leading Republican gubernatorial candidates.  Prior to the event I received an email from a follower of my endeavors to spread constitutional literacy and encourage patriotic advocacy.  She wrote:
Saw where [you are] going to [a] Travis Allen speech. I liked John Cox a lot better. Have heard them both and had their bios. I think John is more experienced and mature. Than Travis. And Travis is bad mouthing Cox all over the place.
I thought about her words.  She said she "liked" Cox better.  The past tense presentation leads me to believe there may be doubt.  Also, while we may be in disagreement, this person is a conservative who loves the Constitution as dearly as I do.  I so dislike the Republican Party's tendency to bring out circular firing squads and internal bickering.  I responded:
I appreciate your opinion. I have known John Cox for a few years, primarily because of his push for his Neighborhood Legislature idea, which, in my opinion, would be disastrous. I have interviewed both of the candidates a number of times, face to face, and I believe based on those experiences that Travis Allen better represents my values and constitutional principles. To be honest, either one of them is better than Gavin Newsom or any other Democrat, so if Cox were to somehow pull off one of the two slots for November, he would get my vote. That said, in the primary, Travis Allen has my vote. Thank you for your opinion. That's what makes this country so wonderful. We may freely discuss issues and candidates without worrying about shock troops showing up and kicking in the door. God Bless, and thank you for all you do.
She received my message, and responded as I had hoped:
You are so right. We can have an opinion without any problem and can agree to disagree. I don't know a lot about either of them but as you say either would be better than any Dem candidate. Thanks for all you do to promote conservatism and to help make California red again. God Bless.
If only the snowflakes and Democrats thought the same way, or at least responded in such a humble and peaceful manner, rather than throwing fits of violence when they don't get their political way or when people dare to disagree with their authoritarian radical Marxist views.

-- Political Pistachio Conservative News and Commentary

No comments: