Sunday, March 11, 2007

A Political Pistachio Interview: Bushwack

American And Proud is home to Bushwack's blog, which began its journey at blogger nearly two years ago. Bushwack is a sturdy force in Conservative Blogging, and the first political blog I encountered when I began blogging a year ago. His site inspired the creation of Political Pistachio, and the first three comments ever on this site were posted on May 17 and 18 of last year by Bushwack. It was Bushwack, in my opinion, that truly got the word out regarding my humble little blog, as well as help me along my journey to making Political Pistachio the engaging blog that it has become.

His third comment on the site nearly a year ago is one that has stuck with me ever since he wrote it, and I refer to its message constantly when referring to the illegal alien invasion. It read: "About the time we get an WMD unleased here in the states they might decide to do the right thing with the border. Unfortunately, a lot of people must die before something gets done."

Yesterday, I caught up with this nearly legendary blogger, and asked him a few questions about blogging, politics, motorcycles, and golf. The following is a transcript of that interview.

First off, I understand you plan to attend "A Gathering of Eagles", which is a Pro-Military march on Washington DC on March 17th. Can you tell us a little about it, what made you wish to attend, and what are you expecting out of your trip?

The Gathering of Eagles is a chance for me to actually do something to show support for those that are standing in harm's way. I saw it advertised on a blog about a month ago and mentioned to my wife that we should go, she said sure lets do it. I guess I am expecting to see face to face the other side, up close and personal, and let them see me.

Your wife is going too, that's awesome. Apparently, you both share the same political point of view, or at least when it comes to supporting the troops.

We are on the same page on most things. She is a little less condemning of our border issue, at least nicer about it...my oldest son is going too.

My first blog is Defender of the blahs, my writer's blog, created in March of last year. After a couple months of that site, and a baseball site which no longer exists, I created Political Pistachio in May of 2006. My inspiration was your blogger site, "American and Proud of it". When did you start that site, and what was your original motivation?

Oh, man, I think I started it about a year and half ago, I'm not even sure...My original motivation was the anti-American sentiment I was hearing on news channels. I really didn't use my computer much at the time, and I was more into golf and motorcycles. I got fed up and learned of blogger then started voicing my opinions on issues.

As a writer, my love of the written word is what motivates me to blog. What is your current motivation now that you have surely increased your writing skills through your blogging experience?

I suck at writing. I know what I want to say, I just don't structure or punctuate well. Most of my writings are emotionally based and are more rants than logical thought. You are a writer, I am a opinionator.

So getting across your opinion in this mad world is your current motivation?

I guess you could say that. I also enjoy talking to my friends and discussing politics. I've met some terrific folks blogging and a few morons. I boot the morons and develop friendships with those that have similar viewpoints.

How is your new home at American and Proud going in your opinion?

I like it. WordPress has a lot of power and I am learning all the inner workings of web design, if I could make a living at it I'd quit my job now.

One of the main reasons I wished to interview you is because you are the first person ever to comment on any of my blogs, especially Political Pistachio. In fact, the first three comments are by you, back on May 17th and 18th of 2006. Do you remember when you discovered Political Pistachio?

Not really, Doug. I remember running across your blog and reading it and saying dang, this guy can write.

You know, when I first came across yours my first thought was "dang, this guy is on the money. I can't agree more."

Thanks, I have changed some viewpoints since that blog, but overall I'm still a Conservative trying to battle the liberal mindset.

How has the blogosphere changed since you have been a part of it, and where do you see blogs heading in the future?

There are many more blogs now, it seems. I think there are a lot of different views out there now. A year ago it was about "Support Bush" or "You are a liberal". Now it's in my opinion more volatile because some of us [conservatives] aren't supporting Bush [anymore in some aspects]. We need to support the country first.

I often sum up my conservative beliefs by saying that I believe in being independent and self-reliant. How do you sum up your conservative belief system?

Good question. I sum it up very similar. However, I add to it that we must put God & Country before individuals. Man is fallible, so trusting man to be perfect is a hopeless task, therefore, we need to let them know when they make mistakes.

As I tell folks, follow man and you will be disappointed. Follow God and you will be fulfilled.

I believe that also. I am not a practicing Christian (in the sense that I don't attend church regularly), but I am a believer.

One who believes Christ died for their sins, and has a relationship with Him, is a practicing Christian, regardless of their church-going frequency. Not going to Church does not keep you from praying, though church is great for fellowship and the such. You ought to join me sometime at Harvest Christian Fellowship in Riverside.

You do know that my wife is an associate pastor right? IF I went to church it would have to be hers, or else she'd kill me otherwise.

ha ha ha. Yeah, I know she's a pastor. That's actually a funny thought. "News just in, husband killed for not attending wife's church where she's a member of the clergy, details at eleven."

(Laughing Emoticon)

Do you have any military experience, be it directly or indirectly, and how has that affected your belief system as it pertains to politics?

Nope, I never served in our armed forces. My family tree is littered with vets, though. I chose a different path in life, and frankly, military service would have been much easier. I had a lot of time to think and read the Bible when I was younger, and my belief system is one of real life experiences coupled with Biblical teachings. Political beliefs are easy, you pick the issues most near and dear to your heart and try to vote or promote those most closely aligned with those views.

Which are your favorite blogs?

Well, in no particular order, TexasFred's, Freedom Gunz and Ebyjo, Gawfer, Yours, Jarhead John's, Sue's. I also like Sue's Monster hunting site (Warriors For Innocence), she has done a terrific job with that and is a big help to law enforcement tracking down pedo-freaks. I read a lot of blogs and anyone reading out there please don't be offended if I left someone out, I comment frequently at a lot of them. My blogrolls are full of folks I read.

Do you ever find yourself trying to emulate any of them?

I guess on occasion. You guys are all great writers. I am decent with code, and I bring that to the table. As far as emulation, I try not to, but on some issues I find myself opinionating like Gunz or Fred.

How do you decide what to write about on your blog?

At first I wrote about issues that pissed me off. Now I try to find issues that are not so cut and dry. They are hard to find. I am trying to interject more humor in my blog these days, as well, but I haven't really started that yet. I also like to get different news, like from Middle East newspapers that we don't see here, like al-jazeera. I like to see what they see type thing.

I do that every once in a while on myspace and yahoo 360. That's where I posted stories about Castro's artificial anus, and the Tijuana cops losing their guns and having them replaced with slingshots.

Those were good.

What is your strategy with moonbats?

Well, Doug I'm an aggressive, type A, personality, I guess. I don't believe anyone should write something in a blog that they wouldn't say to your face. Moonbats are famous for breaking that rule and therefore I have no respect for them. My strategy is if they are respectful in tone they can voice their opinion on my site. The minute they resort to name calling (Me or my friends) they can take a hike. I won't let a moonbat use my place as a forum to spout ridiculous ideologies.

Does your wife being a pastor affect how you write your posts, or affect your political belief system?

Nope, she reads it often and occasionally I'll get the "look", but like I said, I won't say anything on my blog that I won't say in public, or in front of the target.

Mrs. Pistachio is that way - I tend to be careful when I write sometimes. She's trying to break me of that.

Life's too short to go through life walking on egg shells. Let it out Doug.

You mentioned motorcycles earlier. How often do you ride? Harley, Victory, or Rice Rocket?

Neither. I ride dirt bikes, and I am the proud owner of a KTM EXC450. I had a Harley once and took it to Daytona beach for bike week. That's where My path was changed......

Are you a good golfer, or are you just a hacker like the rest of us?

Well, there was a time that I was thinking of turning pro. I played in quite few tournaments, played a couple of Pepsi tour events (Not well). These days I'm a hacker, I guess, played trilogy last week shot 79.

What's the funniest thing ever to happen to you on a golf course or a blog?

On a golf course? I guess it was playing with Gawfer. He was not having a great round and he was hitting the ball all over the place. Almost every time he hits a ball that should be Out of Bounds, it bounced back in. I was just in awe, he should have shot 200, but the ball would hit a rock or house or tree and bounce back in. On a blog I was once accused of being a liberal, and I guess that was kind of funny. They came to my blog and apologized later.

Any advice for your fellow bloggers as the liberal cloud continues to spread its shadow over our fine nation?

Duck! LOL. Well, I don't really have to deal with them (liberals) much. I mean I am not an avid supporter of Bush right now, his border policy, the agents in jail for doing their jobs, Iraq is a mess because we refuse to fight the war that needs to be fought. I mean, the Libs don't bother me, they'd rather go after the folks that are singing Bush's praises. They will have to come at me with more than "Bush Sucks" or they get no argument. When they show up and say dumb stuff like that our border should be open, or Bush lied and that's why we are at war, then they get an argument they can't win.

Anything to add?

Nope, Doug, I thank you for your interest in my humble existence and I wish you well on your writing career.

And as expected, the conversation with Bushwack was interesting and illuminating. I learned something from him during the interview, that folks like Gunz and Fred and Mrs. Pistachio have been trying to pound into my hard head for a while.

All I can say about what I am learning is, Trolls, beware - or be deleted.

19 comments:

Sues said...

Great interview!! As I expected, nothing surprising here, Bushwack's a great guy. Thanks for bringing us more of the Bushwack!!

Bushwack said...

Thanks Doug, It was an honor to be a interviewee of yours, and maybe when you make it big you'll remember the "little" guy's LOL

Thank you Sue..You are tops.

Anonymous said...

Outstanding interview...

I've told Bushwack in personal conservations that he's a well thought out man...

And I do mean MAN and a heck of a one at that. We need more patriots like him.

Well done Doug.

TexasFred said...

Excellent interview Rob, I can't wait to see how the 'Troll in Control' takes it apart...

David Odeen said...

I like that Fred...Troll in control..I wonder who he means.

Good interview I enjoyed getting to know Bushwack!!

Gary said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Gary said...

Thanks for the mention Bushwhack. Indeed that was a bad day, but Doug, let me tell you, Rob's no hacker. He got serious game. I have personally watched him slice and dice a course he was completely unfamiliar with. I believe he shot a 74 that day in Palm Springs.

Well done both of you.

Tom said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Bushwack said...

Damn Gunz, Thanks...

Fred, Thanks I hope not.

My point, Thanks bud, I've made trips to your site often and you are one of my frequent stops....

Gary, That was a good trip, the bad day you had was an eye opener for me, you have the demeanor of a saint.. I would have broke a few irons had it been me.... Thanks.

Bushwack said...

Hey Doug, Do me a favor and email me the comments you deleted.
I have asked that those that have a problem with me bring it to my site as to not destroy yours.

These folks need a lesson in manners and maybe they would like to discuss their opinions of me in person? I'll be in DC on the 17th feel free to look me up, you'll recognize me.. I'll be the one standing on your throat.

Tom said...

Well, not surprising, but Doug has started deleting my comments. Specifically, in this thread, I had asked if I was the "Troll in control" and what "troll" meant anyway. I mentioned nothing at all of Bushwhack, so the deleted comments had nothing to do with him.

I'm not sure what "lesson in manners" I need to learn, when I merely provide a contradictory point of view and fire back when people call me a "dumb sh**" or tell me I have my "head up my a--". Where's the manners in that Doug? I realize you give your "conservative" readers their "rights" first (whatever that means), but I didn't realize that entailed allowing insults in one direction only.

In other threads, I had pointed out his factually inaccurate assertions. For instance, in the "tax thread", he insisted that the wealthiest 2% pay 80% of the federal taxes, and I fact checked it and it turned out that it's the wealthiest 20%, not 2%, and it's 64% and not 80%, at least according to the Congressional Budget Office.

I'm perplexed how that rises to deletion, unless a person wants to keep putting forward factually inaccurate and straw man arguments over and over, without anybody calling them on it.

But it's his blog, he deletes what he wants, and it's not the first time, nor will it be the last that I've encountered this sort of behavior. Doug obviously found me an impediment to salicious, and factually inaccurate posting, and so I will merely move on to the next smallish right wing blog and get under their skin until they flip out and start deleting my comments as well.

And you can all have your "you tell 'em Doug" love fest with no contradictory point of view, other than MK - who does nothing but offer weak whining while at the same time telling Doug how fabbbbbbulous he is.

What a bummer.. I was having fun, and the comments were flying. But then the guy that is fond of quoting Julius Streicher decided to silence dissent - respectfully written, on topic, and without "vulgarities" I might add - just like a follower of the Streicher method would.

And I expect this will get deleted as well. That's how it works in the right wing world. Doug, you should go read your own post about being banned from the left wing blog. Then, look in the mirror.

In the meantime, if anybody wants to continue the argument with me - feel free to blast me on my blog. I won't delete your comments, and I won't moralize about what you say - whatever it is. That is, if you enjoy a good debate rather than just an affirmation of your own point of view.

Bushwack said...

Tom, You just affirmed my belief that liberals like you are blow hards.. This post is NOT the forum for your ridiculous belief structure.

You asked the definition of a troll?
One who comments to Comments not about the post.

This post had nothing to do with taxes, or any of your moonbatty beliefs.

Manners? you have none. When I said "say only what you would say in person" I meant it. Try to use that logic and your comments might not get banned...
I would like it the other way though.. please tell me in person of your "reality" I'd love to learn of your planet.

Tom said...

My belief structure? Somebody posted in this thread " I can't wait to see how the 'Troll in Control' takes it apart..." and all I did is ask if they were refering to me and what "troll" means. Bam - deleted, banned whatever.

I'm confused about this "say only what you would say in person" idea. That's what I did. Is this "in person" stuff related to your "I'll be the one standing on your throat" comment?

It's a blog, and these are just political or social discussions and you're threatening violence?

All I can say is, wow..

Bushwack said...

Not threatening anything ass wipe, You are a troll a worthless spineless POS I'd be extremely happy to tell you that face to face...

This is not a discussion, this post was an interview, it was a chance for doug to practice his skills, You seem perfectly happy to interject dumb thoughts to it as you see fit, Banning your dumbass is called for in that case.

Doug feel free to delete the cuss words.. and this poor excuse for a human Tom.

Douglas V. Gibbs said...

Tom, your comments about Mudkitty was interesting. I continue to allow her to leave comments on this site, despite her misguided beliefs, because she is respectful, and for the most part attempts to stick with issues. She also doesn't take up two pages of social commentary as you do with your comments. Also, the best way I can explain my sudden decision to begin deleting your problematic comments is that this is my house, and my friends are all invited. But if someone in the house makes my friends uncomfortable, causes some of them to leave, or causes some of them to decide to stop having any conversation, I can do nothing else but show the troublemaker the door. And that troublemaker is you. Your comment about finding another small rightwing blog to comment on fills out the definition of a troll: Trolls exist to disupt a blog. That is their entire reason for being present. When it is no longer fun to shake up a blog, they then go on to the next victim, and wreak havoc there until no longer welcome. This is my house, and you've been shown the door.

David Odeen said...

Hey Bushwack...dude you are funny as hell! I suck at golf but it be fun to have a beer.

Hey thanks for stopping by My Point!

Bushwack said...

My Point, Well you don't have to play good, you can still join me and Gawfer and Doug and then a Beer afterwards...or a beer anytime is fine with me....

Thanks for the humor plug but seriously these trolls are a pain in the butt.
They are playing in the sandbox without adult supervision.

Anonymous said...

WordPress rules!
FTGF!

Anonymous said...

I like Bushwack, a no-nonsense kind of guy, straight to the point with no PC BS.
Good interview.
FTGF!