Friday, April 04, 2008

40th Anniversary of the Assassination of Martin Luther King, Jr.

It seems appropriate that tonight's guest on my radio show is a black reverend that preaches in the inner-city neighborhoods of Seattle. I didn't realize the connection until after the interview date had been established.

Martin Luther King, Jr. was assassinated 40 years ago today in 1968 in Memphis, Tennessee. He lead a campaign for civil rights, known for his non-violent marches and demonstrations.

The evening prior to his death, in a sermon that seemed to forsee his fate, Martin Luther King, Jr. said, "Llike anybody I would like to live a long life. Longetivity has its place. But I am not concerned about that now. I just want to do God's will. And He has allowed me to go up to the mountain, and I have looked over, and I have seen the promised land."

King was shot in the neck the following day while standing on the balcony of the Lorraine Motel. He died later that day in the hospital.

Riots broke out, sweeping through several major U.S. cities. On April 9, 1968 more than 50,000 people attended King's funeral in Atlanta, Georgia. His legacy, even 40 years after his death, continues. His message remains strong, and in our memories.

No comments: