Wednesday, July 08, 2009

7-8-9 and Life Is Good

Times are tough. I work many hours, and have health issues that make working a difficult task. However, I do what I need to do to take care of my family.

Despite the difficulties, however, I have been blessed in many ways, as well.

Today's date, July 7, 2009, is one of those unique dates in life where the numbers line up. In other words, today is 7-8-9.

Like the unique date, we have unique blessings that line up as well.

As an American I feel uniquely fortunate to have beaten all odds by being born in America in the first place. Liberty is mine from birth. I live in the most prosperous, and exceptional nation, ever to exist. I live in a nation where even the poorest of Americans are richer than over 90 percent of the rest of the world.

When I consider the odds of having that kind of fortune, it is staggering.

I have been blessed with a marriage that has spanned two and a half decades, two children who were born healthy, and have grown to become fine adults, two beautiful grandchildren, a refrigerator full of food, a home in a pleasant neighborhood, a job that puts food on the table, and extended family that cares for me. I enjoy doing my favorite thing in the world (writing) daily, have nice vehicles to transport me to wherever I wish to go, and entertainment on the Internet, radio, and television available to me at the push of a button. Despite a partial disability I move around on my own accord, and have a wife that tends to my pain when it appears to be bringing me down. Life is good.

Right about now the Liberal Left is surely getting very upset. How dare I say these things when there are so many in the world, and in this country, that are without such blessings.

Guilt is what drives the liberal mind.

The nice thing about America (or at least for the time being) is that those who live in this nation that don't have each and every blessing in their life, have the opportunity to pursue happiness, and make it happen for themselves as well. It is not up to government to provide these blessings, either. That is an individual personal responsibility - and those who wish to, have the freedom in this nation to pursue happiness to their heart's content.

Remember, such a freedom being at your fingertips is not a guarantee of success - but remember the old saying, "If at first you don't succeed, try, try again."

What a blessing it is that we live in a country where that kind of opportunity exists in the first place - God's hand remains over America.

-- Political Pistachio Conservative News and Commentary

By Douglas V. Gibbs

No comments: