Sunday, November 07, 2010

An Empty Nest


By Douglas V. Gibbs

My wife and I have been married for over 26 years. We have raised a son who is 25, and a daughter who is 20 today. He has married, and lives in the next town over. Our daughter moved to another part of town, into a condo, on Thursday. This weekend was our first weekend without anyone in the house but ourselves.

It's a strange feeling, while being also a good one. My office will no longer be rummaged through on a daily basis. No more, "Hey Dad, can I borrow the car keys?" I miss my children, yet I don't.

If there is any difficulty in this new phase of our lives, it is that my wife and I now see our grandchildren less.

This new phase, however, also removes all distractions, and allows my wife and I to focus on each other. This weekend, with turmoil abound on the outside, we enjoyed each other's company. As two birthdays this weekend in the family caused all kinds of argument and disagreement with family members, my wife and I were able to sit back, hold each other's hands, and laugh at the silliness of the youngsters.

Getting older is a good thing.

-- Political Pistachio Conservative News and Commentary

No comments: