Saturday, November 05, 2011

Requests Calling For Another Murrieta City Council Run


By Douglas V. Gibbs

In 2010 I ran for City Council. I did not necessarily run because I want to be a politician, but because I wanted to give a voice to Measures C, D, and E in Murrieta, which called for Term Limits, and caps on the salaries of the City Council, and administrative positions including City manager. Of the five challengers, I received the second most votes, but it wasn't enough to win. But, that was all right, because the initiatives won overwhelmingly.

Mission Accomplished.

Last Tuesday I spoke up in support of a proposal to ban red light cameras in Murrieta at the City Council meeting. Last night I moderated the Murrieta/Temecula Republican Assembly Meeting where the people that were instrumental in exposing the corruption in the City of Bell were our guests. I mentioned how the scandal in Bell actually gave a boost to my campaign, because Bell illustrated exactly what I was arguing was possible in Murrieta if measures like C, D, and E were not passed.

After the meeting I had two people come to me and ask me to run for City Council in Murrieta again in 2012. Today, I received a phone call from one of the people that was at the City Council Meeting on Tuesday asking me to seriously consider running.

These are not the first requests. I have had dozens of requests to run for office again over the last few months.

I am thankful that there are a number of people that believe in me in such a way. I am reluctant to run simply because of the many things I have going on right now. I believe I can have a greater impact teaching my Constitution classes, doing my radio shows, writing, moderating events, and public speaking.

However, despite my reluctance to run, I have taken the possibility into consideration. We will see what the upcoming year brings, and the kind of support I am receiving.

The person who called me today said that my reluctance is exactly why he wants me to run. Because of my reluctance, it confirms to him that I am not a politician in it for power, or the status. He sees me as someone that would serve because I feel I can make an impact, and would see the opportunity as a privilege.

Thank you, my friends.

I am considering running. It depends on a number of things, but I am thinking about it.

-- Political Pistachio Conservative News and Commentary

No comments: