Sunday, January 08, 2012

Should Congresswoman Giffords Seek Re-Election?

By Douglas V. Gibbs

It was a year ago today that a gunman opened fire in Tucson, Arizona, taking six lives, and putting a bullet into Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords' head.

Now, after a year of difficult rehabilitation, and still struggling to speak, the Arizona democrat needs to decide if she should seek re-election.

She has been working hard to get back to serving the people of Arizona, and sent a recorded message to her constituents last fall that said, "I'm getting stronger; I'm getting better. ... There is a lot to say. I will speak better. I want to get back to work."

The only vote Giffords made in the past year was to raise the nation's debt limit -- just seven months after she was shot in the head.

It comes down to her mental state.  If she believes she is capable, if she is able to mentally handle the rigors of holding office, then absolutely.  Difficulty speaking does not equal difficulty thinking.  I suffered a head injury that was supposed to have killed me in 1985, and after two years of rehabilitation I surprised all of the doctors and made it back to being fully functional.  Giffords' recovery has been remarkable, and though I don't necessarily agree with her politics, if she has come back as much as we are being told, she has all the right to continue to seek office.  Let the voters decide.  Let them decide if they want her to represent them, or not.

-- Political Pistachio Conservative News and Commentary

Gabrielle Giffords: Will she seek re-election? - CBS News

No comments: