Sunday, August 19, 2012

The Night Before San Francisco

By Douglas V. Gibbs

Virginia originally told me I couldn't bring the computer on our Anniversary Celebration Vacation, and as a loving husband I was willing to comply. But, she changed her mind - and it turned out to be a good thing. She has used our laptop a number of times to double check our checking account, and during those moments Online realized a minor mistake that, without knowing about it, may have caused our ATM usage to cause a problem.

It has also been good we brought the laptop because I love to write, and I was hoping to keep you all posted on what's going on.

The house is being guarded by my United States Marine Corps neighbor, and check-ups on two of our three dogs a couple times a day by our son (the puppy is at his house, marking his territory on our son's carpet).

We drove up Saturday Night directly after my KCAA radio program, and stopped a couple hours short of Sacramento and got a hotel room. We got on the road this morning at 5:30 and arrived in the Sacramento area, after stopping for breakfast and gas, around 9:00 AM. In Old Sacramento most of the shops didn't open until 10:00 AM. We walked around, looked in a few windows, grabbed some taffy, and then at ten went over to the Railroad Museum where we spent nearly three hours learning about the history of the railroad, and its importance to The West. After that we took a train ride around the area, and had a fun conversation with one of the tour volunteers on board.

After a little shopping, and a look through a couple other museums, we went over to downtown Sacramento and had lunch at the River City Brewing Company. Virginia ordered Grilled Sterling Salmon with delicious buttermilk smashed potatoes, and vegetables dominated by broccoli. Mine was Grilled Chicken and Cheese Ravioli in a pesto cream sauce filled with italian bacon, spinach, sun dried tomatoes, and pinenuts. They nailed it with the spinach, which is difficult to cook just right.

Great meal, good price.

Then we checked out Sutter's Fort, and that was a great piece of history. The entrance fee was $5, and parking is free on Sundays, so it worked out economically pretty well. The tour of the rebuilt fort includes recorded audio that brought the visit to life. The most interesting part was how the Gold Rush ruined John Sutter, destroying his empire, and sending him back east as a broken man.

The funny thing about the day was I had this habit of picking out political ideology, and it drove my wife nuts. I suppose recognizing what's going on politically, and what went on in history politically, is a part of who I am.

In the Railroad Museum, for example, there was a quote by Alexander Hamilton, a statist who was guilty of inflicting a lot of big government damage on our system. The quote (I can't remember it word for word to be honest) essentially said that America's destiny of expansion needed government't involvement.

I just shook my head. Government doesn't create innovation. Individual drive does.

Another thing I noticed, not only in Sacramento, but during our drive to where we are now about half an hour north of the Golden Gate Bridge, was all of the Obama-Biden bumper stickers we saw. This area near the San Francisco Bay is about as liberal as they get. What was even worse, twice we had cars behind us that suddenly sped up and passed us, with the driver flipping us off as they passed by. I am thinking the "I take my orders from the Constitution" bumper sticker caused these angry liberals to flip out.

It must be rough being angry all of the time like that. That is why I feel so bad for liberals. What a horrible life to live, hating those that oppose them, angry at everything that proves them wrong (which has been happening often with Obama in office, and his constant liberal failures), acting out whenever they get the chance. It must be rough to always have an agenda, and that agenda always involving anger and attempts to use the politics of personal destruction against their opponents because they are unable to debate ideas.

In reality, they look like toddlers throwing a temper-tantrum.

I am wondering what my "Rightwing Extremist" hat is going to do tomorrow in San Francisco. I am thinking I am going to get a lot more people showing me I am number one with the wrong finger.

-- Political Pistachio Conservative News and Commentary

1 comment:

prying1 said...

Knowing you, the No. 1 sign will be met with a laugh and that will only tick off the liberals even more. I don't think there is anything that ruins a liberal's day more than being laughed at. Except for perhaps their growing realization that Romney and Ryan are gaining support while the Obamessiah is losing it.