Tuesday, September 11, 2012

The 9/11 Generation

By Douglas V. Gibbs

A new crop of young adults are joining society. These are youngsters born in the nineties. Today's twenty-year-old was only nine when two planes, guided by Muslim terrorists, flew into the twin towers of the World Trade Center. To some of us that is the most horrific day of our lives. We remember where we were, and what we were doing, when we first heard the news of the horrific attack against America. To the young adult, that event is just another moment in history.

I was nine when we left Vietnam. I remember the images of people hanging off helicopters as they departed Saigon on our black and white television. I knew of the war, and I knew that there were those in our military that were fighting it. The discussions over whether or not we should have been in Vietnam caught my ears, but did not hold my attention for long. I was too young to understand. The Vietnam War was just a piece of history that occurred during the first decade of my life.

We Shall Never Forget. But if we don't teach the next generation the horror of that day, the importance of America's reaction, and the reality of our war against Islamism, 9/11 will become just another paragraph in a history book.

Don't forget, and don't let your children forget. The 9/11 Generation must carry on the commitment. They must continue to carry the torch. We owe it to them, for those that forget history are doomed to repeat it.

-- Political Pistachio Conservative News and Commentary

No comments: