Thursday, July 04, 2013

Independence Day - A Lost Definition

By Douglas V. Gibbs

All this week I have been hearing it. . . 4th of July Holiday, 4th of July Weekend, The 4th of July Extravaganza. . . PARTY!!!!!

Today is not the Fourth of July Holiday.

Today is Independence Day.

I said to someone last weekend I was looking forward to Thursday being Independence Day, and they replied, "Like the movie?"

Did we win our independence from aliens?

It boggles the mind.  After talking to that one person, I made it a point this week to begin asking various people about Independence Day.  I was disappointed in what I heard.  One person thought Independence Day celebrates "When we threw a bunch of tea into some harbor."  Another told me, "That's celebrating the first time we kicked Germany's ass."  More than half of the people I talked to thought Independence Day celebrates "the day the slaves were freed."

There was rare mention of the British, the Declaration of Independence, or the year 1776.

And about the time I thought it couldn't be any worse, I came across this video. . .




Unbelievable.

I wonder if these people think Asia is a country, too.

Am I crying about the stupidity - uh, I mean ignorance - of the American People?

No.

This is simply more evidence that educating the public has to be priority one.  How can we turn this country around if the people don't understand the principles of the instruction manual (U.S. Constitution), the tools available to us as a citizenry, and how they can be involved. . . much less that we declared independence from the British Empire with the Declaration of Independence, and that our Founding Fathers mutually pledged to each other their lives, fortunes, and sacred honor so that we may enjoy the wonderful gift of freedom.

-- Political Pistachio Conservative News and Commentary

No comments: