Wednesday, October 23, 2013

How Uninformed Voters Encourage Tyranny

By Douglas V. Gibbs

A journalism student asked me about the neglect of the Constitution by our elected representatives.  She commented on my Constitution Classes I host in Temecula on Thursday Nights, and my Saturday afternoon radio talk show on KCAA, and asked if anyone had called into my show and told me they had no idea about a subject until I had brought it up.

I responded, "Not on the air, but often in the Constitution Classes, and in email responses to the radio program, I get that kind of statement."

She went on to tell me that "It was recently stated in Newsweek that 70% of 1000 citizens did not know what the supreme law of the land was.  The answer is the Constitution.  How does that affect government?"

A very good question because people don't realize how not being an informed voter, and not understanding the Constitution, could be detrimental to our system, and our liberty, as a whole.

I said to her, "When government is supposed to represent the people and the people are uninformed about the rule of law, it allows the government more elbow room to act tyrannical without fear of reprisal from the people."

Government does not fear the uninformed, and it is easier to buy the votes of uninformed voters.  Ultimately, those people are easier to control, as well.

-- Political Pistachio Conservative News and Commentary

No comments: