Saturday, May 14, 2016

Captain America: Civil War. . . It was good

By Douglas V. Gibbs

My wife and I decided to take a break, last night, and go to the show.  I had a free movie ticket, so it was two-for-the-price-of-one.  Stay away from concessions, and you might get out of a theater without mortgaging the farm.

As an avid sci-fi/fantasy/comic book hero fan I have been looking forward to this film.  One thing I realized, it was a good thing I had seen all of the previous films, or else a lot of this one would not make sense.  Though a good story (a very good story), it took so long to develop during the first part of the film that it actually put my wife to sleep for a few minutes.  Then, the fun began.  The Spiderman insertion was brilliant, especially in the way they did it.  Tony Stark's visit was great, though Aunt May should be older and not so hot.  Also, the kid was more in line with how Peter Parker really is supposed to be depicted than previous Spiderman film appearances of late.

Tony Stark/Iron Man, as always, was awesome.  I truly believe nobody but Robert Downey Jr. is capable of playing that role properly.

Captain America sticking to his principles was refreshing, and might I add, his position about government was something I could relate to.  Never mind Vision's idiotic "collective good" speech.

Fight scenes?  Entertaining.  Twist at the end?  Saved the film overall.  Cap was right, it turns out.

How it ended left all kinds of opportunities for sequels, spinoffs, and giving Black Panther and Spidey their own launch pad.  Out of four stars?  Three.  Good, but not great because of that "taking forever to develop" thing.

Well, it could have been worse.  But, that movie was named Deadpool.

-- Political Pistachio Conservative News and Commentary

No comments: