Wednesday, January 10, 2018

Arpaio for U.S. Senate . . . Will Get Roy Moore Treatment

By Douglas V. Gibbs
Author, Speaker, Instructor, Radio Host
I met Sheriff Joe September 24, 2016 at the Combat Veterans for Congress event in San Diego.  We had a fun verbal interchange.  He was wearing a large Glock 9mm tie pin, and mine was a couple of small, crossed revolvers.  Arpaio pointed at mine and said, "mine outranks yours."

"Yes, Sir, it does," I sheepishly replied.

Arizona's tough talking sheriff was arrested and found guilty for doing his job regarding federal immigration laws.  After Obama had Arpaio under attack, Trump pardoned him.  Now Joe Arpaio has announced he is running for U.S. Senate. . . and there is no doubt in my mind the Democrats will launch the same ridiculous allegations against them that they did against Judge Roy Moore.  Why?  Because like Trump and Moore, Arpaio refuses to be a part of the establishment, and as a political conservative he is deadly to the liberal left narrative.

The 85-year-old will, if he gets into Congress, give Trump a valuable tool in backing the President's policies, especially when it comes to immigration, and building the wall.  One of the frustrations has been that while President Trump has been moving full speed ahead, the Republican Congress has been hardly the ally we'd like them to be.  Arpaio's hawkish attitude is exactly what Trump needs when it comes to somebody in his corner in the Senate.

“I have a lot to offer. I’m a big supporter of President Trump,” Arpaio said. “I’m going to have to work hard; you don’t take anything for granted. But I would not be doing this if I thought that I could not win. I’m not here to get my name in the paper, I get that everyday, anyway.”

I definitely expect Arpaio to carry his national image as a tough, law-and-order cop into the Senate and fight in a similar manner.  While Arpaio’s sharp rhetoric and past law enforcement practices have drawn criticism from the Democrats, I am hoping the Republicans will be willing to use him as a way to view the world outside their bubble, and realize the importance of a hardline approach.

While Arpaio is hard on illegal aliens, he is a proponent of legal immigration.  “My mother and father came here from Italy, legally of course. I have a soft spot for the Mexican community having lived there,” he said. “I’m not going to get into my personal life, but I will say we have four grandkids and some have a different ethnic and racial background. I don’t say that. I don’t use my grandkids. So, I have a soft spot, but still, I’m going to do my job. You have to do it.”

He also realizes that as a legislator his role regarding the immigration issue will alter. “Being a U.S. senator is a little different than being the sheriff, because you can do a lot of things in the U.S. Senate, and I have many plans, believe me. It’s tough. It’s a tough decision. But, if you’re going to come across that border, you should be arrested and get the consequences of it,” Arpaio added.

Arizona is a traditionally Republican leaning State, but then again, so is Alabama, and the Democrats figured out a way to weasel that bright read State out of the grip of Judge Roy Moore.  Nonetheless, the population of Hispanics as been on the rise in Arizona, and thanks to their willingness to buy into the Democrat Party's deceptive propaganda, it may serve as a reasonably difficult obstacle for someone like Arpaio during the final push.

That said, Arpaio’s reputation and close affiliation with Trump will get the conservatives in that State out to vote, likely because they realize nothing is for sure.  Again, they have Roy Moore's loss in Alabama to use as a marker to go by, especially when it comes to what to expect.

“I am outspoken. I’m looking forward to it. Let them come. They’ll have their political firing squads and bring tons of money here, because they don’t want to lose,” he said. “I just want to do everything I can to support our president.”

-- Political Pistachio Conservative News and Commentary

No comments: