Saturday, October 13, 2018

Crashed

By Douglas V. Gibbs
Author, Speaker, Instructor, Radio Host

I suppose the "Crashed" title can be used in a number of ways.  The Democrats have crashed with their attacks, rhetoric, and mob mentality in such a way that not only is the blue wave they anticipated in November of 2018 likely lost, but if the GOP voters get out there en masse, any gains for the party of the donkey may be completely erased, and in turn the Republicans may very well pull off gains in both houses.

Can you imagine the coming whining and crying from the liberal left Democrats who claim this election is a referendum on Donald Trump's presidency when they actually lose seats in both the House of Representatives and the U.S. Senate?

However, I, myself, have experienced a different kind of crash, and it has nothing to do with politics, and everything to do with my ability to spread constitutional literacy, and promote patriotic advocacy.

Beginning Wednesday evening my lap top computer began giving me fits.  It was not allowing me to do my work.  On Thursday, when I had a moment to get some work done before a speech I gave in Laguna Woods, during the hour and a half I spent at a fast-food joint the computer went through a "scan and repair" routine.  I wound up posting to my website about the evening's upcoming Banning-Beaumont-Cherry Valley meeting I was going to be speaking at on my cell phone.

Yesterday, Friday, the crash completed its process.  My icons vanished, the task bar was empty, and the screen kept cycling between my We the People background and a black screen.

I called a friend who is a programmer, and he said it sounded like some kind of malware.  I have virus protection, but apparently, something got through.  My processes were going haywire, and the computer said it was maxed out at 100% use of its memory.

Fortunately, I had recently backed everything up, so no data was lost (including my next book, and the information regarding the classes I teach).

I was faced with a choice.  Consider buying a new computer that I don't have the funds for, or figure out how to fix my suffering beast.

While attempting to slay my beastly circumstances, I discovered that Windows 10 allows you, while the computer is being restarted, to press F11 to go into recovery mode.  I took advantage of it, and restored the machine to its original factory settings.  I stayed up all night last night working on it.

The computer is working, but not the way it is supposed to.  It rejected Google Chrome twice.  In the end, the third attempt to download the browser was the charm.  SKYPE was added relatively easy, so today's radio program is going to proceed as planned (since I don't wish to make the long drive to the studio on this rainy Saturday).  But, my newly restored, rejuvenated, and reclaimed laptop, for some reason, is rejecting Microsoft Word . . . the program I need to create and send the homework worksheets for my homeschool students, and the program all of my books and other works are saved to.  Again, I have it all backed up, but none of that matters if the program I need to access those files is being rejected by my laptop.

So, for those of you willing to read this, I have one request.  You can help.  The expenses of my constitutional efforts already exceeds my funding gains.  Most of the money I receive for what I do is from book sales and contributions from people who wish to aid in my efforts.  Whether it is a one-time funding blast, or a monthly contribution, it is you folks who keep this whole thing rolling.  I have hundreds of people on my email list.  Thousands visit Political Pistachio every day.  Tens of thousands listen to the radio program.  If even only a small percentage of those folks were to contribute monthly, we could replace my ailing computer, and begin operating in the black.  The bills are piling up.  I can only operate in the red for so long before I must decide to either figure out another funding mechanism, or shut the doors of my constitution operations forever because I can't afford to continue to carry that torch.

As a country, our future hangs in the balance.  Few out there are championing the U.S. Constitution like I am.

Your assistance is greatly appreciated.




-- Political Pistachio Conservative News and Commentary

No comments: