Friday, January 08, 2016

Praise for Constitutional Articles in Local Newspaper

By Douglas V. Gibbs

Since 2009, I have been writing for various online outlets, such as Canada Free Press, and for a single print newspaper, The Central Idaho Post.  Beginning recently, my "Constitution Corner" Column is now also being published in "Neighbors Newspaper" of Southwest Riverside County, and Corona's "Sentinel Weekly." (I encourage my local listeners and readers to become regular readers of these fine publications)

I tend to be long-winded when I write, so getting these things down to 500 words was quite the endeavor.  Longer versions are available on this website.  The first article was "America's Four Founding Documents," and the second was "James Madison and Judicial Review."  I have more to come, with executive orders in the mix, soon.

A long-time reader of the Corona paper took interest in my articles, and wrote a lengthy letter to the editor that is supposed to appear in this week's edition of the weekly newspaper.  Bill titled his piece, "New Kid on the Block," and I wanted to give you folks here on Political Pistachio a few of the highlights from his observations about yours truly.

His first three paragraphs read, "I love this newspaper. Having been a part of it since its inception you may forgive me for being somewhat biased, but with each issue, it just keeps getting better.

"In case you hadn’t noticed, the December 30 issue presented a new column by Douglas V. Gibbs. Mr. Gibbs comes to this newspaper with an impressive list of qualifications, Political Activist, Public Speaker, Constitutional Instructor, Radio Host, Publisher, author of two books, and best of all, Patriotic American.

"His initial piece, James Madison and Judicial Review, may be a good indicator of just how knowledgeable Mr. Gibbs is about American history and politics. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it and look forward to seeing more of his work in the coming year."

Advertisement in Sentinel Weekly
(a similar ad for the Temecula Class is in Neighbors)
The gentleman goes on to explain that he is a person who is knowledgeable about history, and the founding of this country (and its Constitution), and explains some of his own understanding regarding the Framers of the Constitution.  He also spends a little bit of time on the Tenth Amendment.

Then, he returns to my own constitutional prowess, and California's own woes, writing, "Gibbs’ contention that the federal judiciary has overstepped its bounds is well founded. The cases where the judiciary has legislated from the bench are far too many to present. Those of us old enough to remember the Earl Warren Supreme Court should be very familiar with judicial activist decisions that strayed far from both the intent and actual wording of the Constitution.

"Here is California we are saddled with 807 new laws that went into effect January 1. Not one of those laws challenge the federal government or even attempt to pry even the slightest control from the massive organization that has become our central government.

"Are you feeling like a criminal yet? Do you know what those 807 new laws are? Do you know all of the federal laws on the books? I don’t. And I am sure I have probably violated something in the code, although I have no idea what would be.

"Maybe the states have too many rights. 807 new laws in one year! If you think things have gotten out of hand, it’s only because they are.

"Welcome to the newspaper, Mr. Gibbs. I look forward to reading more of your work."

Thank you, Mr. Babbitt, for the glowing review and hardy welcome.  It is my pleasure to join the Sentinel Weekly as a regular writer.

-- Political Pistachio Conservative News and Commentary

No comments: