Thursday, April 06, 2017

Moments After I Call For Strike on Syria, Trump Does


By Douglas V. Gibbs

At around 4:00 pm, but set to post after 7pm Pacific, I wrote about Trump considering striking against Syria.  In the article, I recommended he use Tomahawk missiles, be in quick, be decisive.

I was up at the Redlands Tea Party talking about my involvement with the Congress of Racial Equality all night, then I get back and find out Trump did exactly what I was calling for...
As for Rand Paul's call for the President to get Congressional approval, that's not necessary.  Constitutionally, as the Commander in Chief, while Congress has the authority to "declare" war, the President of the United States has the authority to "wage" war when he deems it necessary.

Ought the President consult Congress?  Sure.  But when time is of the essence, sometimes there is no time for that.  Hence, the reason why the President can wage war.

Note: Thomas Jefferson and James Madison waged the Barbary Wars without a declaration.

-- Political Pistachio Conservative News and Commentary

No comments: