Thursday, November 01, 2007

Flag Folding Recital


Recently VA banned (and then unbanned) the American flag-folding ritual because of the words at the eleventh fold. Apparently there was a complaint about the narration that stated “glorifies the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac and the God of Jacob.”

My grandfather passed away a few years ago. He was a World War II veteran, and honestly, the recital of the flag-folding narration was one of the most tear-jerking parts of the funeral.

I am a veteran, and when the flag-folding ceremony is performed at my funeral I hope that all portions of the recital are included. That is my choice, and no one has the right to tell me I can't have this ceremony - all thirteen folds of it - in its entirety.

It is frustrating to know that someone would even complain about it in the first place, and that the "powers that be" would jump through hoops to gratify one sniveling person. This news story yet another example of how we as a nation allow a few to set laws in action against the majority. Honestly, this direction we seem to be heading, leaving God out of our lives as American Citizens, and condemning those that wish to have God included in their lives, is a clear indication that we, as a nation, are heading for trouble.

No comments: