Monday, December 26, 2011

After the Presents

By Douglas V. Gibbs

This is our second Christmas without kids in the house. Our daughter moved out in November 2010. We have four grandchildren (a couple from our son who is 26, and a couple from our daughter who is 21 - both are married) and they are all a blessing.

My folks had the family get together on Christmas Eve, and Mrs. Pistachio's family invited everyone over on Christmas Day. Our children's spouse's families held their gatherings on Christmas Eve.

This is our first Christmas without a full house, the kids coming in and out, so my wife and I spent a little more time together, and the gifts were a little more treasured. She gave me some cologne and a video game I've been wanting to get for some time. Mrs. Pistachio loves chocolate, so her gifts were chock full of chocolate. I know better. Chocolate puts her in a good mood, and when mama is happy, everyone is happy. I gave her a calendar, a card that professes my love, and a CD she's been asking for as well.

We sat around listening to the CD I bought her, took a deep breath, and then realized. . . the house was empty. There was no knock at the door.

I love my children and grandkids, but an ounce of peace and quiet goes a long way.

After a few songs, I pulled the CD out and replaced it with something a little more appropriate - Praise Music.

-- Political Pistachio Conservative News and Commentary

No comments: