Thursday, June 20, 2013

The Death of Vince Flynn

By Douglas V. Gibbs

Vince Flynn passed away yesterday morning. The author of 17 action novels was my age, 47.  He died of prostate cancer.  His books are exciting to read, and his main character in most of them, Mitch Rapp, the CIA's most lethal and efficient counterterrorism operative, from what I am being told, was a pretty good representation of who Vince Flynn really was.

A graduate of St. Thomas in St. Paul, Minnesota, Mr. Flynn also resided in the Twin Cities, where he wrote his political thrillers.

Each of his books were blood and guts thrillers that tackled the Washington cesspool, yet weaved into it all a good old fashioned spy story.  My reads, so far (yeah, I know, I am out of order with the ones I've read) is The Third Option, Separation of Power, and American Assassin.  The last one was signed by him, and was sent with the intention of me interviewing him on my show.  His busy schedule made it difficult to get him on my radio program, and I am saddened it never came to be.  I hear he was a great interview.

A "man's man", Vince Flynn represented the American ideal of a hard-working, self-reliant individual who was willing to stand up for his principles, and fight the good fight.  America will miss him.

-- Political Pistachio Conservative News and Commentary

No comments: