Monday, October 14, 2013

For Your Safety

By Douglas V. Gibbs

As I drove through the City of Cypress, California this morning, I passed a sign that read,  "For your safety we use radar."  It seems that if a police car gets behind me and lights me up for going 43 in a 40 mph zone, it could result in a fiery crash, therefore he must hide around the corner with a radar gun pointed at me.

In a few other cities I have seen signs that say for my safety they use video enforcement at the signalled  intersections. Of course it is much safer to use red light cameras,  which encourages people to slam on their brakes when the light turns yellow, which has caused an increase in rear-end collisions at these intersections.  The companies administrating the systems tell us the monitoring of intersections is a much safer way to go.  Their massive profits say so.

When my city council members discussed putting surveillance cameras up and down our busiest streets, they said it was for our safety. The armored personnel carriers are for our safety in case we riot. The unmanned drones, which are not weaponized (yet), are for our safety. They want to take our guns, for our safety, too.

The government's eyes and regulations are watching us, for our safety.

But who will protect me from the watchers?

Wasn't it Benjamin Franklin that said, "Those that sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither?"

The Bible says in 1 Thessalonians 5:3, "For when they shall say, Peace and safety; then sudden destruction cometh upon them, as travail upon a woman with child; and they shall not escape."

Be careful what you ask for.

-- Political Pistachio Conservative News and Commentary

No comments: