Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Chiropractor, and Acupuncture - For the First Time

By Douglas V. Gibbs

A couple weeks ago I was struck by a vehicle while on the job.  The impact was enough to spin my body around, and play some serious havoc on my back and neck.  Now, I am working hard to heal, but my physical therapy has introduced me to things I have never experienced, before.

Going to a chiropractor, or receiving acupuncture, are things I have only heard people talking about.  The reports from friends, family, and neighbors have always been mixed. Some people call both practices miracles, and some call them hokey methods that don't work at all.  I never had an opinion regarding either method of physical therapy.  I figured that until I had the opportunity to experience them, I had no right to have an opinion regarding them.

After a few appointments in San Bernardino, my main doctor for healing from my accident was moved to a more local location for me, and it turns out the new primary doctor is a chiropractor.  I wasn't sure what I was in for, but anything was worth trying to get the pain to stop.

After a lengthy discussion, he said he would only apply minor adjustments.

Minor?  Starting slow and easy sounded appealing to me.

Face down, he felt along my back, and then did it.  It was just a push, one on each side, and I never dreamed my back could crack in so many places.  It was the back-crack I had been searching for.  I always twist and turn seeking what he accomplished with just a push.  The relief was pretty immediate.  Pain still remained, but a lot of the tightness was gone.  Then he did my neck, and hips.

That was Monday.

On Tuesday, it was acupuncture's turn to have a stab at me.

The chief concern of the acupuncture doctor was my right shoulder, so he stuck needles into my left arm near my wrist, and two locations on my left hand.  He showed me a chart as to why that location, and how everything connects.  It was all like speaking a foreign language to me, but I accepted it, and gave it a try.

I am not sure if it helped.  Pain remains in the shoulder, but it feels like it dialed down a degree, or two.  I am aware of the placebo effect, and I don't want the pain to lessen because I "think" it should.  The jury is still out on the acupuncture, but I will give it a chance.  Some people have called acupuncture a miracle, but the doctor that stuck needles into me explained that for about 40% of people, acupuncture does not work.  It depends on the person.

Yet another confirmation that we are individuals, not members of a collective.

I am supposed to see both doctors once a week, plus have another for my stress levels - which means I visit doctors a minimum of three times a week.  It is interesting, but to date, I still hurt.

-- Political Pistachio Conservative News and Commentary

No comments: