Sunday, May 31, 2015

Beau Biden Dies Of Brain Cancer @ 46

by JASmius



Thirteen years, three weeks, and two days ago, I miraculously totaled a rental car.  The miracle was that I survived, because it took place on a freeway when I lost control of the vehicle, and it smashed into a hedge in the center median, which prevented me from crossing the median and shooting into head-oncoming traffic and maiming or killing myself and God knows who else.  That hedge was also the only such obstruction for miles in either direction.

As I say, a miracle.

And it happened so fast.  They say that your perception of time slows down when you're in an automobile accident, and that's true - when you're a passenger.  When you're behind the wheel, perception of time speeds up.  Once femtosecond I was commuting to work, reaching blindly for a soda in the cupholder in the unfamiliar interior, the next I was facing 120 degrees the opposite direction with an airbag deflating in my face.

My mother's death was just as quick.  One moment she was watering plants in her front yard, the next she was face-down on the sidewalk in front of my parents' (now former) house, dead of a cerebral hemorrhage.

It brought home for me just how true it is that every moment could be your last, and that "sudden death" isn't just a football term.

And then there's major health problems at a comparatively young age.  I was forty-six myself when I had my hypertensive urgency episode.  I had no idea what I might be looking at - maybe open heart surgery? (which I was, mercifully, spared) - all brought on by not taking care of myself and foolishly ignoring the signs of something I unquestionably did see coming and simply ignored.

I don't know if Beau Biden ignored any symptoms.  But, sadly, there were no miracles for him:

Vice President Joe Biden announced Saturday that his son, Beau, has died of brain cancer. Beau Biden was forty-six.

"It is with broken hearts that Hallie, Hunter, Ashley, Jill and I announce the passing of our husband, brother and son, Beau, after he battled brain cancer with the same integrity, courage and strength he demonstrated every day of his life," the vice president said in a statement late Saturday.

"The entire Biden family is saddened beyond words. We know that Beau's spirit will live on in all of us, especially through his brave wife, Hallie, and two remarkable children."

One thing I've never had to experience is the loss of a child.  Every parent naturally assumes that their kids will outlive them.  It's the cycle of life.  For a son or daughter to pass on first....I can't imagine it.

Generally what comes out of Barack Obama's mouth is the vilest fecality, but, whether he meant them or not, we at Political Pistachio endorse, second, and share these words and the sentiment they express:

"Michelle and I humbly pray for the good LORD to watch over Beau Biden, and to protect and comfort his family here on Earth," Obama said.

If only the younger Biden could merely have broken a leg.....

1 comment:

Tom said...

Just reading this, and it resonates with me. My eldest sister passed at age 38 from a brain aneurysm that burst. That sounds like what JASmius' mother suffered. Know that brain aneurysm's are genetically inherited. I had an MRA (not an MRI, it's a different type of scan) to rule out an aneurysm that might have been lurking in my brain. You should absolutely get one done. An aneurysm is repairable if detected before it bursts. The procedure is called 'clipping'. They repair the bulging tissue in order to prevent it from tearing later. It might save your life to get the test done. If you don't have one, no harm done.