Monday, February 27, 2017

Oscar's Wrong Winner Announced by Faye Dunaway

By Douglas V. Gibbs
AuthorSpeakerInstructorRadio Host

I am not a fan of Hollywood.  I don't think those people are particularly any better than anyone else simply because they can pretend in front of a camera real well.  I spent time in the acting industry for a little while in the mid-nineties, and I wasn't impressed.  The snack table impressed me, but the tiny people of tinsel-town did not.

That said, while Hollywood has been spending all of their time trying to verbally sabotage the presidency of Donald Trump, they can't even get their own awards shows correct.  At last night's Academy Awards (Oscars) Warren Beatty and Faye Dunaway, stars of 1967's Bonnie and Clyde, couldn't even get their announcement for best picture winner correct.  They got the wrong envelope in their hands, and said that La La Land had won best picture.  In reality, Moonlight was the correct winner.

Note: I have had no intention of seeing La La Land, and I have never even heard of Moonlight.

Beatty noticed the mistake, but Dunaway had read the winner before Beatty could stop her.

"I opened the envelope and it said Emma Stone, La La Land. That's why I looked at Faye, and at you. I wasn't trying to be funny." Beatty assured everyone, after admitting to the mistake and explaining that they had the wrong envelope.

The cast and crew of La La Land had already taken to the stage to give their acceptance speeches when the presenters told them of the mixup.

That's gotta be a punch in the gut.

"Warren, what did you do?!" joked Kimmel, coming on stage to help work things out, before joking that he also blamed Steve Harvey, who famously mixed up the winner of Miss Universe.

It's a wonder these people are even able to perform basic human functions.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Shouldn't they all get trophies just for showing up? Isn't that how it is supposed to work??