Thursday, August 30, 2018

McCain Funeral Exclusions

By Douglas V. Gibbs
Author, Speaker, Instructor, Radio Host

I have tried to be as neutral as I can be when talking about recently deceased U.S. Senator John McCain, not because I liked his politics (I didn't) and not because I am trying to respect the dead, but because he was a military veteran (and endured a period of his life as a prisoner of war in Vietnam), and as a vet, I have this thing about letting vets rest in peace once it is all over.  That said, McCain was not a political maverick, he was a turncoat.  He carried and "R" for republican after his name, he represented a majority conservative State (Arizona), but he was no conservative republican.

Understanding the fact that he was a thorn in the side of the GOP (and pretty much had more in common with the liberal left democrats than the republicans) why is it such a surprise that his pall bearers are people like Jane Fonda anti-Vietnam buddy, former Secretary of State, and retired U.S. Senator John Kerry and former V.P. under Barack Obama and former U.S. Senator Joe Biden, and that people like President Donald J. Trump and 2008 McCain running-mate and former Governor of Alaska Sarah Palin have been rejected as guests at the funeral?

The mainstream news have been propping McCain up as the last bi-partisan god, and the reality is, he was a republican in the wrong party.

I appreciate his service, I do not hammer on him about his military service, and I will not write a bunch of anti-McCain pieces now that he is ready to be placed six-feet-under, but I refuse to herald him as some great poster-boy from a bygone era, or hammer on people like Trump or Palin because the McCain crowd decided to refuse to invite them to the funeral.

Rest in Peace, sorry for your loss, turn the page, let's start a new chapter in the U.S. Senate and Arizona politics.

-- Political Pistachio Conservative News and Commentary

3 comments:

MikeyParks said...

I'm sure that if McCain knew how I feel about him, I'd be disinvited to his funeral. I'd call that an honor.

Ken said...

I agree 100% with you, Douglas. I'm a 100% disabled Viet-Nam era vet, and I do respect that he was also a vet, and a POW, but, beyond that, I have nothing good to say about the man and his politics, which were more often than not, left leaning. RIP, McCain, but as you say, Douglas, lets move on!

Unknown said...

That was "Well" stated, and I concur with part of that statement.
As a Veteran I respect service done in our country's military, I hope his deceased shipmates on the USS Forrestal feel the same way.