Thursday, February 21, 2019

When did "Constitution" become a bad word?

By Douglas V. Gibbs
Author, Speaker, Instructor, Radio Host

"What is it that your husband does," my wife's co-worker asked her.

"He's a constitutionalist," Mrs. Pistachio replied.

"Oh."  Her friend's attitude suddenly went sour.  "So, he likes Trump."

"Yes," was the reply.  "He supports Trump."

"I don't like that man.  I can't wait until he is no longer President."

---

I wish I had been there.  First of all, I am willing to bet that if I asked, not a single dislike regarding Trump by that woman had anything to do with policy.  Second, since when is the Constitution something to dislike?

The even more interesting thing is that I thought the Democrats were complaining because they thought Trump was acting in an unconstitutional manner, yet when my wife said I was a constitutionalist, the woman immediately assumed I was a Trump supporter.  In other words, they know he's following the Constitution, and it is pissing them off.

When did the Constitution become a negative term with the Democrats?  Or liberty, for that matter.  Or, capitalism?

They are seriously beginning to sound like the Soviets did when I was growing up.

-- Political Pistachio Conservative News and Commentary

1 comment:

Martin said...

Over 100 years. Probably more if you look harder than the two minute web search I did.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/may/30/woodrow-wilsons-case-against-the-constitution/