Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Honoring The National Anthem

Tonight I attended the Arena Football League Playoff Game in Los Angeles that pitted the Los Angeles Avengers against the Utah Blaze. LA beat Utah 64-42.

Anyhow, at the beginning of the game I was at the box office receiving some vouchers when the National Anthem began. So I immediately removed my sunglasses from the top of my head, placed my hand on my heart, and though I could see no flag, I faced in the direction I believed the Stars and Stripes inside the arena to be.

In my line of sight I was the only one to do so.

I was disappointed to see that none of my fellow Americans were willing to stop their conversations or their journey to wherever they were going in the arena to honor our country, and our flag.

How can we proclaim the pride of our sovereignty as a nation when we are not even willing to stop gabbing on the cell phone to place our hand on our heart when the national anthem plays?

No comments: