Thursday, April 23, 2015

The Obamunist Left's Joseph Welch Moment?

by JASmius



There was a moment during the long-running Senate anti-communist hearings of the early 1950s chaired by Senator Joseph McCarthy - ironically enough, of Wisconsin - when a man named Joseph Welch, the majority council to McCarthy's select committee, finally stood up and said the following:

Senator, you won't need anything in the record when I finish telling you this. Until this moment, Senator, I think I never really gauged your cruelty, or your recklessness. Fred Fisher is a young man who went to the Harvard Law School and came into my firm and is starting what looks to be a brilliant career with us. When I decided to work for this Committee, I asked Jim St. Clair, who sits on my right, to be my first assistant. I said to Jim, "Pick somebody in the firm to work under you that you would like." He chose Fred Fisher, and they came down on an afternoon plane. That night, when we had taken a little stab at trying to see what the case is about, Fred Fisher and Jim St. Clair and I went to dinner together. I then said to these two young men, "Boys, I don't know anything about you, except I've always liked you, but if there's anything funny in the life of either one of you that would hurt anybody in this case, you speak up quick."

And Fred Fisher said, "Mr. Welch, when I was in the law school, and for a period of months after, I belonged to the Lawyers' Guild," as you have suggested, Senator. He went on to say, "I am Secretary of the Young Republican's League in Newton with the son of [the] Massachusetts governor, and I have the respect and admiration of my community, and I'm sure I have the respect and admiration of the twenty-five lawyers or so in Hale & Dorr." And I said, "Fred, I just don't think I'm going to ask you to work on the case. If I do, one of these days that will come out, and go over national television, and it will just hurt like the dickens." And so, Senator, I asked him to go back to Boston. Little did I dream you could be so reckless and so cruel as to do an injury to that lad. It is, I regret to say, equally true that I fear he shall always bear a scar needlessly inflicted by you. If it were in my power to forgive you for your reckless cruelty, I would do so. I like to think I'm a gentle man, but your forgiveness will have to come from someone other than me....

You've done enough. Have you no sense of decency, sir, at long last? Have you left no sense of decency?



Yes, we know that "Tail Gunner Joe" has long since been vindicated about the penetration of the U.S. government by Soviet agents and home-grown commies.  But it's equally as true that Senator McCarthy displayed atrocious political judgement by going after the U.S. Army, which was at that time the most esteemed institution in the country.  It turned a heretofore supportive American public against him and did immense damage to the anti-communist cause.  His monomania about Mr. Welch's assistant set him up for that famous rebuke.

With the Marxist Democrat reign of terror in Wisconsin against conservatives finally breaking into the light of public scrutiny, has the Left finally met, in Eric O'Keefe, their own Joseph Welch, and the instrument of their own political Waterloo?:

Dana Loesch spoke with one of the main targets of the John Doe investigations in WI, Eric O’Keefe, and National Review writer David French.

David’s piece on the John Doe investigations has sparked a firestorm of outrage over a clear pattern of horrific abuse on the part of a vindictive District Attorney, John Chisholm. Eric was the first brave soul to defy the secrecy order and blow the whistle on Chisholm.

ERIC O’KEEFE: Had I honored their secrecy order I couldn’t have organized our defense, interviewed lots of lawyers and run a strategy effort. So I decided quickly, look, this is supposed to be a free country. I’m going to operate as though it is even if it isn’t today.



In all likelihood....no, they haven't.  This outrage, this tyranny, this despotism, this police state horror, will be successfully compartmentalized to John Chisholm, an "overzealous" local yokel who "got carried away" and has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with the rest of the Democrat Party, who are, every damned last one of them, every bit as tyrannical, despotic, morally supremacist, and ends-justify-the-means ruthless as Mr. Chisholm is.  The reason is not difficult to discern: The Obamedia, which are of the same cloth as he is, will not mount the scorched earth campaign against this leftwingnut fascism that epitomizes The Age Of The One that their forebears and antecedents did against the alleged excesses of Senator McCarthy, and they do regardless of the dearth of evidence against any national Republican who manages to gain power despite their best efforts.

The Left, in short, is not individually bulletproof, but is collectively invincible.

But ballsy kudos to Mr. O'Keefe for taking his courageous stand.  And who knows?  Maybe a sufficient number of Americans will conclude that the Democrat Party, collectively, has no sense of decency, and will elect as the next POTUS the man whose rise John Chisholm was so maniacally bent on preempting.  Hard to imagine a more poetically just snootful of karma than that.

No comments: